Baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

BumpersFork

Reaction score
What is everyones opinion on making baldies with black gelbvieh and Herefords? Do you lose hybrid vigor? Just something I was considering and wanted some opinions

BumpersFork":3ilyhhb8 said:
What is everyones opinion on making baldies with black gelbvieh and Herefords? Do you lose hybrid vigor? Just something I was considering and wanted some opinions

NO you gain heterosis(hybred vigor) It's a great cross and you can go back on them with a terminal Angus bull later for carcass traits.

no i dont think you would loose any at all. but than again i do like to believe there is more heterosis with a continental british cross versus a british british cross. but there was one time i found out i was wrong.

It makes some great cows. We have some that as heifers weaned over 64% of their bodyweight.

Color uniformity may be an issue as GV's come in red, gold, and black. If your black bull of choice carries a red gene and you cross him on herefords you could get red baldies or mixed black and red depending on the genetics of the bull and cows. They'd make good cows and no matter what color they are a black angus bull would make the future calves black but in the first generation you could have a mix on them.

cow pollinater":1x5royls said:
Color uniformity may be an issue as GV's come in red, gold, and black. If your black bull of choice carries a red gene and you cross him on herefords you could get red baldies or mixed black and red depending on the genetics of the bull and cows. They'd make good cows and no matter what color they are a black angus bull would make the future calves black but in the first generation you could have a mix on them.
What if the black Angus bull carried a red gene?

Old_man_emu":1g0nh4gd said:
cow pollinater":1g0nh4gd said:
Any breed of bull if carried the red gene would have a chance of giving you red calves. but last i checked there isnt to many registared black angus bulls carrying the red gene.

I just thought the comment was too broad but I wanted someone to confirm what I believed to be true.
Are Angus bulls in the US and Canada tested for red genes?
I recently noticed we have some black AI sires that are being promoted as being a good option to improve red herds

cow pollinater":tdwouj4i said:

That's why we test bulls for color. There are plenty of homozygous blk GV bulls out there and they would work the same color wise as an Angus.

And that test is standard practise for a reputable breeder? And those result would be shown on the animals registration papers? And I assume wouldn't test animals whose parents are tested homozygous black?

Old_man_emu":3m7ybyr6 said:
And that test is standard practise for a reputable breeder? And those result would be shown on the animals registration papers? And I assume wouldn't test animals whose parents are tested homozygous black?

Usually they are listed that way in the sale catalogues, BLack, Double Black, and Homo Black. Also polled or Homo polled. I usually pay for all those tests if I have bulls in a sale. The ones from home not so much unless it's critical for someone to know for sure.

I think the GV pedigrees just say polled or not and black or red. But you can call them and they will tell you if that data is on file.

Old_man_emu":20npkl1k said:
If it's known it will show on the registration paper as (rc) and looking at the pedigree it will also show red carriers the same way

Latest posts