baldies everywhere

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
This was meant to be the first of many years that our farm produced baldies. Unfortunately got some repeated bad advice from a vet, and the baldy maker is gone. Regardless, it's nice to see the unpredictable colors of baldies running around the pasture. Thought I'd share a few pictures of the new calves:

enjoy!

I would be getting another baldie maker, what was suposed to be wrong with the one you had? I will say your solid cattle look good too though.

The (un named) $&@"/?!!!!$$ vet told me on two different occasions that the bull was not "hot". Not wanting to take a chance on zero calves, I sold the bull and bought a young beefmaster bull. I think the beefmaster bull will do well, but I've always had a soft spot for baldies

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Dumped three very nice - and fairly expensive - bulls in the kill pen after vet claimed all my cows were open. I replaced the bulls with some bulls with super seed which apparantly only requires a 3 month gestation period.

Jogeephus":26pdpclr said:
Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Dumped three very nice - and fairly expensive - bulls in the kill pen after vet claimed all my cows were open. I replaced the bulls with some bulls with super seed which apparantly only requires a 3 month gestation period.
:lol2: :lol2:

So this vet tested your bulls semen two different times and called the bull unsound both times? Were you there during the sample and test? Was the sperm just not as active as the vet expected or did the bull test fully sterile? Our bulls need to fail three samples before we cull them based on a microscope test. Not sure of the percentages, but the difference between a highly motile sperm sample and less motile sperm is pretty clear and there's a break point where doc suggests culling. Of course improper handling of the sample can impact the results, typically a temperature shock can kill some or all of the sperm.

On the other hand, did you test after the bull had run with the girls or did you leave him in after the test and prior to culling him? It is possible for a stressful event to impact a bulls sperm motility and within 90 days return to normal.

cypressfarms":25d8ogdr said:
The (un named) $&@"/?!!!!$$ vet told me on two different occasions that the bull was not "hot". Not wanting to take a chance on zero calves, I sold the bull and bought a young beefmaster bull. I think the beefmaster bull will do well, but I've always had a soft spot for baldies

That is the reason I went to blood testing the cow's cheap and I don't have to mess with hauling the bull to the vet.

I wasn't there when the bull was tested. I've been testing bulls there for over 5 years, no problems until now. I have changed vets, and quite rudely let him know how much this has cost me. I even sent him pics of the baldy calves. He apologized, but at that point in time I couldn't risk not having a calf crop..... To say that I'm not happy about the situation is an understatement. I really liked the Hereford bull, and he was just starting to come into his own..... Obviously by looking at his calves...

Live and learn. Expensive mistake though.

backhoeboogie":2c7nrggt said:
I hate it for you cypress. You were all excited about that bull back when.

I was; I was sick to my stomach when I got the call from the vet. I must have asked him a million questions, but the vet seemed insulted that I wanted to ask about his protocol. Bad sign number 1.

Those colors look unpredictable now, but I'd bet the majority will be black when they shed their baby hair. They'll be a nice consistent looking group this fall. That's a mixed feeling, I know.

Chris H":2lzhys3p said:
Those colors look unpredictable now, but I'd bet the majority will be black when they shed their baby hair. They'll be a nice consistent looking group this fall. That's a mixed feeling, I know.

Perhaps,

I do have some black cows that carry the red recessive gene - so I expect the true red baldies to stay the same. The ones that are darker but not fully black will likely wind up black...

I had a cattleman friend come over and offered to buy the whole lot! I wasn't epecting that..... I was planning on retaining all the heifers, but I'll likely sell all of them and use the profit to buy heavy breds or young cow calf pairs. I want to add to the herd, but not have to wait two years to see revenue....

Next time use Genex or the vet school. Only 30 minutes away, I'll take the ride with you.

Latest posts