Balancer Epd ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Can someone help estimate what my bull calf EPDs would be. Angus and Gelbvieh differ in CE #'s. I planned on using this young bull to clean up AI heifers. I want to know what to expect his CED/ Birth EPD's to be. His mother is a Reg. Gelbvieh- CE: 104 BW: +3.7 Father- Blk Angus Frontman R001 #15180461 CED:+12 BW:-2.2 Can someone tell me what this balancer calf will be Appox. And if you think he will work for Heifers? Thanks alot

Black and Good":2mluzb1o said:
Can someone help estimate what my bull calf EPDs would be. Angus and Gelbvieh differ in CE #'s. I planned on using this young bull to clean up AI heifers. I want to know what to expect his CED/ Birth EPD's to be. His mother is a Reg. Gelbvieh- CE: 104 BW: +3.7 Father- Blk Angus Frontman R001 #15180461 CED:+12 BW:-2.2 Can someone tell me what this balancer calf will be Appox. And if you think he will work for Heifers? Thanks alot

PM her reg number to me.

You can calculate estimates until your blue in the face, but he will still be a crossbred bull and the EPDs are virtually useless. Roll the dice and see where they fall. EPDs cannot accurately account for heterosis.

bigag03":3pwegkjm said:
You can calculate estimates until your blue in the face, but he will still be a crossbred bull and the EPDs are virtually useless. Roll the dice and see where they fall. EPDs cannot accurately account for heterosis.

Actually I believe that the conversion chart the Gelbvieh Assn uses might account for that. Even taking that into consideration the Gelbvieh assn does not issue complete EPD's on balancers these days. Just BW and a couple of others.

BTW most breed assns calculate EPD's for ET calves and we all know they don't always play by the rules when it comes to birth weights.

Sometimes ya just need to figure a bit of Kentucky windage, that and the fact that virtually none of the BW data used to quantify EPD's is verified by ANYONE the EPD's on a PUREBRED aren't exactly the word of God either.

I think I can help you. If you go to MARC you will find the breed differences in the EPD's of economic importance that you are looking for. Going by the 2011 data (2012) should be out soon is the following between Black Angus and Gelbvieh.
Black Angus is the control and all EPD's are zero

With a Gelbvieh you can expect the following:
CE: ---
BW: +4.3
WW: +5.7
YW: - 10.2
MM: +8.3
Marb: no data
BF: no data
REA: no data

3waycross":3rcurn08 said:
bigag03":3rcurn08 said:

Actually I believe that the conversion chart the Gelbvieh Assn uses might account for that. Even taking that into consideration the Gelbvieh assn does not issue complete EPD's on balancers these days. Just BW and a couple of others.

BTW most breed assns calculate EPD's for ET calves and we all know they don't always play by the rules when it comes to birth weights.

Sometimes ya just need to figure a bit of Kentucky windage, that and the fact that virtually none of the BW data used to quantify EPD's is verified by ANYONE the EPD's on a PUREBRED aren't exactly the word of God either.

I didn't say they don't try to account for heterosis. I said they don't accurately account for it

Latest posts