Balancer Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
Are any of you all using Balancer Bulls and if so what are your thoughts. My heard is basically Brangus/Herford. I am going to begin retaining some heifers and am thinking of using a Balancer bull with good maternal traits to father these future heifers. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

I have looked into Gelbviehs and Balancers myself. It seems they recommend the full-blood Gelbviehs to be crossed with your predominantly British herd to get the 50:50 cross in order to obtain optimal hybrid vigor. Once you retain the offspring, then they say to use the appropriate Balancer to maintain the desired percentages. This also may just be marketing jargon.

I just couldn't find a Gelbvieh breeder in close proximity so we are looking at Limousin for a terminal cross with our Brangus. I also can't get myself to believe a Balancer on Balancer will give the same hybrid vigor as a Continental on British cross as promoted by their material.

For sires I like Simmental but their frame was an issue. I like Limousin but their low milk production was an issue. Those two factors led me to look into Gelbvieh as a possibility.

Latest posts