balancer bull

Help Support CattleToday:

My intent is to retain heifers with a similar balance of gelbvieh. I have been able to purchase half gelbvieh heifers from a neighbor for the last couple of years. He doesnt retain any heifers and I get first choice. it is a slow go , but im slowly building a uniform quality herd. I do expect him to start retaining heifers in the near future and want to be able to continue to grow with my own replacements. I was hoping to hear from others who had bred balancer bulls to balancer heifers being as i am curious about uniformity.

toxxie24":224q792e said:
How would a Balancer bull( 3/4 gelbvieh) work on 1/2 gelbvieh cows?
1/2 Gelbvieh cows, what is the other 1/2?
IF they are F1 then using a composite bull will give you less heterosis vs pure 3rd breed.
If the other 1/2 is crossbred then the composite bulls should give you about equal uniformity to what you have now.

Works great you get higher %gelbvieh females and then you can breed a higher % angus bull maybe 75 angus 25 gelbvieh to stay around the 50/50

We have Gelbvieh Bulls on Black and Red Angus cows. We also have some 50/50 balancer heifers/cows and we really like them. Calves are growthy and gentle. Balancer heifers and Gelbvieh Bulls are docile as well. When we wean there's almost no crying for momma. We really like the choice of using the Gelbvieh breed. Good luck.

No Butch not at all. Just speaking from my experience that once we made the switch and added the Gelbvieh into our program we did see a difference and havent had to doctor calves like we use too for just standing and bawling for days. I'm not saying I have a technical professional answer. Just stating what we have seen with the breed addition. They are quieter cattle in my experience even as adults.

We have some 1/2 Balancer 1/2 Longhorn heifers that we retained when we bought a Longhorn herd a few years ago. There are about 8 of them I think. The 4 older ones have had their 2nd calf out of a Charolais bull and they are raising some really nice calves. One of them raised one of our biggest calves last year at 610 pounds and it was her first calf. I would recommend using a good Charolais bull on them because I have seen the results by using one or if you don't want to go the Charolais route (some people are still scared of them for calving but we don't have that much problem at all breeding them to heifers) then I would probably go Black Angus. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Latest posts