Bakery waste

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
I am curious as to how good bakery waste is good as a supplement for cattle? Ive found a discount store where i can get loads of bread at a reduced price and ive gotten a few loads and been feeding it to the cows and they seem to love it. My question is from a supplement stand point is it worth the trouble of having to get it and unwrap it to feed the cattle? Im getting it for $30 bucks a load( long bed truck loaded down and or 16 foot trailer loaded down) this in turn equates to approximately 30-60 50 lb feeds sack full of bread as i sack it up so its easier to feed. Its not hard work really just time consuming. With all that said whats its value nutritiously? Keep in mind this is just a supplement not a primary food source for me.

Oh, Lordy! If Skyhightree1 wasn't recovering from surgery . . . he has a ton of pics feeding the "day old" bread, to his cows & pigs. We used to have a Hostess Outlet in town (before Hostess went bankrupt) and I would clean them out, $10 a rack. As far as a supplement, probably not of any nutritional value. But they love it! I used it as a snack, baiting them into the catch pen/trailer, hiding Sustain boluses inside a Twinkie or hotdog bun, getting a skittish one to warm up & eventually trust me.

TCRanch":n1hyxvj0 said:
Oh, Lordy! If Skyhightree1 wasn't recovering from surgery . . . he has a ton of pics feeding the "day old" bread, to his cows & pigs. We used to have a Hostess Outlet in town (before Hostess went bankrupt) and I would clean them out, $10 a rack. As far as a supplement, probably not of any nutritional value. But they love it! I used it as a snack, baiting them into the catch pen/trailer, hiding Sustain boluses inside a Twinkie or hotdog bun, getting a skittish one to warm up & eventually trust me.
It's grain, sugar. Lots of other stuff but surely has some value.

My dad used to feed from the 'day old bread store'. I still occasionally find an old bread wrapper around here, and that was from years ago.
Some is better for the cows than others. I know the horses always left the tortillas layin in bottom of the trough....I guess they weren't mexican horses.

It will all go bad and mold pretty quick in warm weather, and if you leave it long enough, the maggots will turn it to a liquid state. A worse odor than you have ever imagined. Way worse than 'dead things'.
(twinkies excepted...they reportedly have a 5 yr shelf life) ;)

Next door feeds bread and rolls etc. Mainly goats and they do well on it as a supplement. But he has lost a couple as it apparently can ball and get stuck in their throats if it is too fresh. He used to dry it on racks. But be warned, he had as many rats as flies and bloody crows pick up the bread and drop it all through our place and i am forever cleaning sloppy stinking mush out of my water troughs as the crows seem to need water to soften it or wash it down and drop half of it.

TCRanch":2b7zucbj said:

I'm a bad influence on sd1030 lol

Yea you are sky lol. TC sky has sent me lots of pics of his bread adventures. You are correct the cattle love it they suck it up like vaccum cleaners its funny to watch them eat it.

Sd1030":19cbl0lm said:
Yea you are sky lol. TC sky has sent me lots of pics of his bread adventures. You are correct the cattle love it they suck it up like vaccum cleaners its funny to watch them eat it.

After there use to eating it they will follow you to Earth's end if they see you with some

kenny thomas":nxvi1s9z said:
TCRanch":nxvi1s9z said:
It's grain, sugar. Lots of other stuff but surely has some value.
I'll remember that the next time I scarf down a Twinkie :)

Sd1030":4hqs5khj said:
I have 5 cows that fight over my husbands banana peel every morning. Bonus if they're too ripe for him & they get the whole thing :banana:

Of course it has nutritional value. You don't see very many skinny folks in a donut shop or over in the Twinkie aisle. ;-)

Fed a bunch of thrift store throw out bread to pigs back in 2014. For 10 bucks we could fill up a SUV. It looks like a great deal based on the sheer volume but when you add up the weight and factor in the dry matter you end up with something no better than corn and a ton of garbage to deal with.

shaz":24nfokxl said:
Fed a bunch of thrift store throw out bread to pigs back in 2014. For 10 bucks we could fill up a SUV. It looks like a great deal based on the sheer volume but when you add up the weight and factor in the dry matter you end up with something no better than corn and a ton of garbage to deal with.

Your mistake was using a SUV of course it wouldn't be worth it. That's like digging a pond with a spoon

I know a guy who was feeding a lot of what he called bakery waste. It came by the truck load and was unloaded into a commodity shed. I was looking at it and there were little flecks of different colors. I asked what the colors were. He said the wrappers. They had ground up everything wrappers and all. The wrapper material was small enough pieces that they past right through the cows. The cattle were sure healthy. I think he fed too much of it because they were way too fat.

Dave":23b2h2qe said:
I know a guy who was feeding a lot of what he called bakery waste. It came by the truck load and was unloaded into a commodity shed. I was looking at it and there were little flecks of different colors. I asked what the colors were. He said the wrappers. They had ground up everything wrappers and all. The wrapper material was small enough pieces that they past right through the cows. The cattle were sure healthy. I think he fed too much of it because they were way too fat.

I been thinking about trying to grind too the bags are like net wrap a pita

skyhightree1":zh94juev said:
Dave":zh94juev said:

The guy I know didn't do the grinding. The outfit he was buying it from delivered it already ground. I think you would want to feed it up fairly quick because mold could be an issue.

Dave":p8qn9mnn said:
skyhightree1":p8qn9mnn said:
Dave":p8qn9mnn said:

The guy I know didn't do the grinding. The outfit he was buying it from delivered it already ground. I think you would want to feed it up fairly quick because mold could be an issue.

I use bread as cow treats to catch them easily. Mold doesn't bother chickens or pigs not sure about cattle but either way yes it's best to feed it up soon as possible not sure if cows should eat chocolate but there's these peanut butter cakes I give to a bottle calf when she gets one she runs and jumps kicks so I guess she loves it

Latest posts