Bailer Belts

Help Support CattleToday:

Redman

Reaction score
Greetings fellow posters,

Does it ever make since to change just one belt if it is the only one actually broken, but all of them are old and could use to be replaced. This machine has needed a lot of repair this year and I was hoping to wait until next year to change all of the belts. Does this make sense? The longer belts have all been trimmed so that all of the belts are the same length. I will measure the belt tomorrow to see the difference between the actual length and the factory length. Advise?

Thank you,

Redman":3kaz1rkw said:
Greetings fellow posters,

Does it ever make since to change just one belt if it is the only one actually broken, but all of them are old and could use to be replaced. This machine has needed a lot of repair this year and I was hoping to wait until next year to change all of the belts. Does this make sense? The longer belts have all been trimmed so that all of the belts are the same length. I will measure the belt tomorrow to see the difference between the actual length and the factory length. Advise?

Thank you,
I suspect you aren't supposed to do it....but the season being as short as it is, double splice the broken belt to get done and change them all next year.

I measured and my old belts and they are 3 in. shorter than factory because they have been trimmed in the past. So, we spliced it and ran it again, it worked well for one day, made 15-18 bales, and then broke again. I am going to get it remade tomorrow with a longer splice, I think it was too short.

As long as the belts aren't getting too soft, you can splice. I've been doing it for years. If the belts get too short, it puts too much tension on them and they'll rip apart. Correct length is important, although you can usually cheat an inch or two. Also make sure your splices are square for uniform pressure. It is a pain when you gotta stop baking to fix a belt. For some reason, the belts only break when you're baling... :D

Latest posts