Bailed Hay ?

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Why do many farmers bale their square bales so light and many times very loose ? Is it because of the humidity ? Just curious. Tom :cboy:

The lighter the bale the less hay it has in it. If they are selling they get more bales. Other wise they just don't screw the baler down tight enough.

Either they can't get the tension set right on the baler, or for whatever reason, they want to get more bales with the same amount of hay.

Shouldn't be a problem with wire balers but the grass twine is so sorry that you can't make a tight bale without them busting.

Last year I finally tried the plastic twine and was able to crank down and get a tight bale. Helped to get uniform lengths also. I'm sold on the plastic for square bales now. Make sure your knotter knives are sharp or else you will have problems with twine wrapping around the duck bills.

I know a custom baler who does that. He said "women complain if they are too heavy and they want them around 35 lbs rather than 50 lbs." If you believe him - which I don't - you should try and winter cows on his "good hay" and see what kind of BCS you will have at the end of winter.

the main reason sq balers bale loose light bales is because they can make more money.an alot of people complain if the bale is to heavy.i like sq bales that weigh 60 to 70lbs.more that an my back an knees start screaming.

I am use to buying Alfalfa bales tied with three [plastic wire? ties,] each weighing average one hundred twenty lbs. direct from the grower for $8.00 each. That was four years ago in Nevada. These light weight bales are pretty expensive in tonnage comparison. The heaver bales are not difficult to handle if you know how to buck hay. Just my thoughts. Tom :cboy:

I have customers who want light bales; complain if if they weigh more than 30 lbs. Others want as much hay as I can stuff into a bale. Using a bale thrower I don't like to mess with the length of the bales, so those 30 lb. bales can be pretty spongy. Also how consistant the size of the windrows and if the moisture is not consistant throughout the field contributes to light bales.

Latest posts