Bahia

Help Support CattleToday:

S&J

Reaction score
One of our small pastures that put a small yearling steer herd on is basically wild Bermuda . This is south Ga. . I'm considering over seeding with Bahia. I know Bahia is tough and survives about anything, but how would it do for grazing? I can do limited irrigation, basically with hoses. Spring rye grew all winter and is ready to eat again now.
Steven

bermuda survives anything too unless its overgrazed. same with bahia.

you could over seed with bahia to have a mixture so if one isnt doing well maybe the other will.

or you could let the wild bermuda spread to cover the whole patch.

Bahia is poor mans coastal give me bermuda any day for pasture. Bahia gets tough unless you rotational graze or mow cows will get where they wont eat it. Fixing to put in a test plot of Red River crab grass if this does well as I have seen it other places my Bahia is in trouble.

Caustic Burno":3uhbd9mx said:
Bahia is poor mans coastal give me bermuda any day for pasture. Bahia gets tough unless you rotational graze or mow cows will get where they wont eat it. Fixing to put in a test plot of Red River crab grass if this does well as I have seen it other places my Bahia is in trouble.

I have seen that Red River Crabgrass make one hell of a forage program. Trouble I see with it though, it comes in late in spring and is gone by early fall.

You might overseed rygrass each fall and keep grazing almost year round. Good luck with it.

Dallis grass is by far the best grass we have here.

MikeC":3ta565ak said:
Caustic Burno":3ta565ak said:

I have seen that Red River Crabgrass make one be nice of a forage program. Trouble I see with it though, it comes in late in spring and is gone by early fall.

You might overseed rygrass each fall and keep grazing almost year round. Good luck with it.

Dallis grass is by far the best grass we have here.

You are right about late spring I was hoping in our climate it might jump a little earlier. Also looking for something with better hay yields. The stands I have see in Ok. are impressive.

Beefy":3f0pbrek said:
wont Camp's bahia just blow on over and infiltrate your grass?

Not six miles through the woods.
I have a hodge podge of grasses with Argentine, Pensacola, Peraguay bahia's Alica, African Star, Common Bermuda. I would like to find a grass that yields along with coastal and likes to grow here. If this Red River does well you can bet a disc and I will start working a pasture at a time.

Almost forgot I do have a good stand of smut grass as well.

Caustic, are you in sandy soil?

From what I have seen the crabgrass don't care for prairie soil too much.

i have mostly centipede and carpet grass with a bit of smutgrass mixed throughout. a small acreage of alicia, some new coastal that hasnt really done anything yet, and a little common hermuda adn pensacola bahia. have some tift 9 but cant figure out where to plant it. got some crabgrass that really comes on strong in the summer if i can beat the cows off of it. it just showed up one day.

S&J":17hz60hk said:
One of our small pastures that put a small yearling steer herd on is basically wild Bermuda . This is south Ga. . I'm considering over seeding with Bahia. I know Bahia is tough and survives about anything, but how would it do for grazing? I can do limited irrigation, basically with hoses. Spring rye grew all winter and is ready to eat again now.
Steven
The grass alway looks greener on the other side of the fence. If you aready have bermuda take care of it and it will produce fine for you. What grows naturaly will usually do as well as anything you plant with a lot less care. It sure makes a lot more economic $cents. Fert and water is all that bermuda needs.
If you feel that you must plant something. I would do test plots for diferent types of grasses and make your choice from there.

Beefy":oy4fgzte said:
i have mostly centipede and carpet grass with a bit of smutgrass mixed throughout. a small acreage of alicia, some new coastal that hasnt really done anything yet, and a little common hermuda adn pensacola bahia. have some tift 9 but cant figure out where to plant it. got some crabgrass that really comes on strong in the summer if i can beat the cows off of it. it just showed up one day.

That Centiped you have I bet ain't very productive. I like it for yard grass but it sucks in a pasture. I have kiled centipede with fertelizer. Yep. It is the "P" that will get it. Just put some 0-64-0 on and watch it die.

Thanks to everyone. I think I'll just fertilize what I have. I just have to rotate the steers often enough so the grass doesn't start to lay over and get tough.
Steven

Latest posts