Bagged mineral vs. Block

Help Support CattleToday:

pits4life

Reaction score
I was wanting you alls opinion on the pros and cons of bagged vs. block mineral. All info would be greatly appreciated...

I built two mineral feeders [plastic barrels] hanging. When it rains they collect water and the mineral gets hard so I have to dump it and refill with fresh mineral. Good mineral is expensive. I am thinking that I must of cut the barrels wrong. My cattle wont eat the hard mineral, they prefer the powder.
~Tom.

Thanks for the guidence and info in this matter.I really enjoy talking to you all and thanks for your time and experience, Iam trying to learn all I can and all of you are doing a great job with helping me obtain the knowledge to hopefully succeed and maybe help someone down the road that is in my shoes.....Hats off to ya.... :tiphat:

pits4life":g62ubdb8 said:
Thanks for the guidence and info in this matter.I really enjoy talking to you all and thanks for your time and experience, Iam trying to learn all I can and all of you are doing a great job with helping me obtain the knowledge to hopefully succeed and maybe help someone down the road that is in my shoes.....Hats off to ya.... :tiphat:

wow....

kerley":d177sm8w said:
I built two mineral feeders [plastic barrels] hanging. When it rains they collect water and the mineral gets hard so I have to dump it and refill with fresh mineral. Good mineral is expensive. I am thinking that I must of cut the barrels wrong. My cattle wont eat the hard mineral, they prefer the powder.
~Tom.
When the stuff gets hard it's like having the blocks.

pits4life":gotoyvky said:
There's no reason it shouldn;t still be good. There may be a little leaching but not much unless the thing filled with water

I tried bagged. Now use Mineralyx tubs. I don't think the mineral/salt (called "brown blocks" around here) blocks really are a very complete source of minerals - not at a price just above pure salt block. Take a look and compare the contents list.

Jim

Blocks do not have the trace elements needed, use a good co-op bag mineral, if you have no more than a couple of cows . it will take them along time to eat a 20 $ bag of general minerals . I always keep white salt around also...and when real cold use 200 lb, protein tubs..

Check the label on those blocks IF they even have a label. Most or not mineral blocks but rather are salt blocks with traces of mineral. Which minerals??? Who knows if there is no guarantee....as for mineral getting wet. I would encourage you to keep it in a container that WILL hold water. Let the water evaporate, take a screwdriver, spoon,fork or anything else and stir it back into the consistency of the meal it was originally. Everything that was there to begin with is still there....even the salt if it contained salt. It takes about 2 minutes and your cows won't know the difference. Blocks.....basically a source of salt and a poor one at that. A cow will wear out a perfectly good tongue licking on one just trying to meet her salt needs. With granular salt, about 3-4 flicks of the tongue into the salt, she has what she needs, moves on and makes room for the next cow.

Used the Block at one time but only bag mineral now. My cattle seem to have a better coat now and shed off quicker in spring.

dun":g8hipmk0 said:
kerley":g8hipmk0 said:
~Tom.
Dunn I coppied your design and I know they are working for you. My thoughts are that I cut the barrel wrong. Probibly I hung them with the chain to close to the top. I know the cows like them, I just have to make some changes to keep the mineral dry. And Dunn I am not berating your design, I thank you for it. I just think I've done something wrong.
~Tom.

Probably hung it wrong. the side with the hold needs to be lower than the other side. I other words don't hang it level, hang it tipped to the hole side.

kerley":3skm442m said:
dun":3skm442m said:
kerley":3skm442m said:
~Tom.
Dunn I coppied your design and I know they are working for you. My thoughts are that I cut the barrel wrong. Probibly I hung them with the chain to close to the top. I know the cows like them, I just have to make some changes to keep the mineral dry. And Dunn I am not berating your design, I thank you for it. I just think I've done something wrong.
~Tom.

Can't find Dun's design, ain't searching right, HELP!!!!!!!
Thanks

feeder21.jpg

kerley":33fvnx4z said:
~Tom.
Allow it to dry then take a hammer or something and beat it back into crumbles. It's not that hard...They'll eat it.

In my corner of the world, those old red trace-mineral salt blocks have so much Iron oxide added as a filler/coloring agent, that they actually make copper deficiency in the cattle worse than it would be if all they had was a white salt block. We're not short on iron in our soils, and Iron oxide is virtually unabsorbable to cattle, but can effectively block absorption sites for copper in the intestine.

Go with a good, loose mineral supplement formulated for cattle in YOUR area. PROPER mineral supplementation is very much a locality-specific thing.
What is best for my cattle here in KY may be very different from what someone in eastern CO needs.

Latest posts