bad year

Help Support CattleToday:

dyates

Reaction score
Pulled a huge calf from a heifer this morning. I haven't weighed it, but I know it's in excess of a hundred pounds. Hard pull. I think the calf will make it, but I'm not sure about momma. She's sitting upright, but paralyzed. Hit her with steroids and banamine, need to get some more antibiotic. We'll see how it goes. I wouldn't have bred her if I had known she would stop growing the day I put her in with bull. The bull is now hamburger by the way. Lost another calf out of him a couple weeks ago. Cow had him unassisted in not much time (also a huge calf) but the bugger was dead when he hit the ground. At least I found a holstein calf that the cow readily accepted and she is doing well. Hopefully, this current downer will be mobile again soon.

your doing everything right.its not your falt they are having big calves.an calving problems.that is the bull you used falt.he wasnt a calfing ease bulls.culled a 16 month old hol bull years ago because he threw big calves.an paralized alot of cows if they had bulls.

bigbull338":1cpqso28 said:
your doing everything right.its not your falt they are having big calves.an calving problems.that is the bull you used falt.he wasnt a calfing ease bulls.culled a 16 month old hol bull years ago because he threw big calves.an paralized alot of cows if they had bulls.

So he sired the calves when he was about six and a half months old?

KNERSIE":jbcymjny said:
bigbull338":jbcymjny said:

no he was 15 to 16 months old when the calves was sired.an 30 months old when we weighed him up.during that time we lost an culled 25 to 30 cows.

Lots of big calves this year?
I have had three 100lb plus out of the registered herd alone.
I dont blame it all on the bulls, I have had cows that have never had more than a 80 lber throw a big one this year.
There are just seasons like that.

Sorry for your problems.

bigbull338":jewzpr92 said:
KNERSIE":jewzpr92 said:
bigbull338":jewzpr92 said:

no he was 15 to 16 months old when the calves was sired.an 30 months old when we weighed him up.during that time we lost an culled 25 to 30 cows.

OIC

Bigbull, I just couldn't let you have an easy ride to that 5000 ;-) :lol:

bigbull338":39rdy590 said:
its a pretty hard road to the 5000.an its not easy getting there.

You are getting close.
Keep posting, I think you can get it today.

For my herd maximum birth weight bulls for cows would be 85 and maximum for heifers is 72.

And never keep a replacement that is over 80 at birth.

This policy has saved me a lot of cows and calves over the years. Last year calved 25 heifers and assisted 1. This year 14 heifers and no assists. And the cows calve on their own.

I'm happy for you. I usually do the same. Redfornow is right, this is one of those odd years. Every cow has had a calf at least 10% heavier than normal. My problem with the bull was the confirmation of the calves (shoulders), not the weight. I blame most of the weight on the season.

bigbull338":1ywb3vjs said:

This statement doesn't even make sense to me. If it is the fault of the bull, who choose that particular bull? There are a lot of things that can cause a cow to have a calf this big, and it isn't always the bull. Calving ease is great, but it isn't a sure fire thing by a long shot!

the reason that i said that is because he sounded like he had a calving ease bull.an was getting them big calves.

Nope. She's trying, but no success. She'll even drag herself by her front feet. She eats hay and drinks plenty of water. I give her a daily dose of Bute. Calf has yet to stand on its own as well. The pull was really hard on its' front legs. The fact that it looks like it's half giraffe doesn't help it stand either. Those are some looong legs. I'm still tubing as I haven't been successful at getting it to take a bottle. I'll let it get hungrier this weekend when I have more time and try the bottle more. If it finds its feet and some strength before it takes a bottle, I'm in real trouble. There's absolutely no way I will be able to hold this beast and get a tube in it. Momma's gonna hit the road, either dead or alive. I guess because of the nerve damage and being down, she has no milk. I'm just trying to get her up so I can get something out of her besides a visit from the dead wagon.

if you have or can get some hip rings, lift her at least twice a day. that will help. also, you might be able to drag the calf up under her and let it suck. if the calf finally gets up, it will be able to suck her when you lift her too. i did this for about 2 weeks on a cow once, and she finally got up and got going again.

good luck

jt

Cow finally got up this morning. No milk for the calf as suspected, but maybe I can at least get her strength up and pound her out. Calf is doing very well, but he's pretty rough on me. I think I might go buy a cup to wear. :lol2:

KMacGinley":ooileryy said:
How many times did you loop the chains on the calves legs?

I don't use chains directly on calves legs. I use a wide (2 1/2"), thick (1/4") nylon strap that has a large metal ring on one end and a smaller ring on the other that will slip through it. I put that on the legs and attach chains to that. The strap is actually made for tree work. It's called a cambium saver. You have to have more leg out to get it on, but I think it does a lot less damage. This dude was just hip-locked so hard, I thought I would pull him apart before I got him out. Luckily, he is now doing fine. Seems like I have one odd-ball pull like this each year and that's all. Last year, it was a breech that turned out fine.

dyates":3a0cnc41 said:
KMacGinley":3a0cnc41 said:
How many times did you loop the chains on the calves legs?

I don't use chains directly on calves legs. I use a wide (2 1/2"), thick (1/4") nylon strap that has a large metal ring on one end and a smaller ring on the other that will slip through it. I put that on the legs and attach chains to that. The strap is actually made for tree work. It's called a cambium saver. You have to have more leg out to get it on, but I think it does a lot less damage. This dude was just hip-locked so hard, I thought I would pull him apart before I got him out. Luckily, he is now doing fine. Seems like I have one odd-ball pull like this each year and that's all. Last year, it was a breech that turned out fine.

Dyates, they actually make calf pulling straps just as you described your device...3/4" strap with rings on each end....work well and more calf friendly than chains. Jeffers' use to sell them and Valley probalby does as well. I use one I made myself by platting strands of round baler twine and putting a ring on one each end. Haven't used it in years and hopefully won't have to anytime soon.