Bad week

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
So on top of the lack of feed and the rain, we have had some bad things happen
1. husband thought that since he could not get the mower to the hay yard to cut the hay before hauling, he would let the cattle graze it. So he proceeded to put up an electric fence to protect last years good hay. About 120 small squarres that we use for calving, couple of greenfeed, some second cut alfalfa, some tame grass. All in all about 20 bales from an 850 NH. The fencer was solar with plastic step in posts ( they were only going to be there a day or two at the most) and the wire and 5000v of charge. Two days later husband went out to close the gate. Only to find 4 wild hay bales and 2 straw bales left. The fence was demolished, posts broken, wire missing and the fencer toast...he was ready to get the truck in and ship out all the buggers...bad cows

2. This is a doozy and a man made disaster waiting to strike the cows, calves and humans.
A brief history lesson: So much rain that the well that waters the cows has been flowing since July. Husband can not haul hay through the pasture cause the water drains into it and well, can we say stuck? So he has been going through the main yard.
Fast forward to today. Father in law has been talkin about getting the well capped for about 6 weeks. He has taken his time about finding a cap for the well. He decides that today is the day to take everything apart. You see he called the well driller and they are gettin a cap in today Father in law thought and will install sometime soon. So now the calves that we are shipping on friday have no fresh water. "
"oh they can drink from the puddles" The puddles are muddy and dirty. All animals do better on fresh, they like fresh. But that was not the worst!
He took apart the water and left the parts out for the cows to find. He set the pressure tank...new... on a fence post where the cows could have a field day...How? I dunno
Then this is the mother load. He took the 110v wires out of the area and put them on a fence post for the cows to get at...did i mention the wires were live? did i mention that the ground is so saturated with water that anything could get a serious shock if the wires fall cause a calf got snoopy? Did i mention that the water flows into the yard and that we all walk there...the water could be charged..dogs could have been fried, cats..toast, birds toast? And the area was not closed off to the cows.
the saddest part was hubby and i had plans tonight to take some time out. We have been so busy. But he had to clean up the mess, read someone the roit act, and did not get in until late...so much for down time. He was so tired he fell asleep sitting up on the couch. Poor man.

Sucks.

I had a similar hay experience this summer. Square bales I was saving up for when they come in handy, good coastal, just gone. I was so angry. :mad:

I know the feeling. Seems at times that if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Look at the bright side - at least no one is shoveling dirt on top of you.

man i truelly do feel for you.your week truelly did blowup bigtime.with alot of major things going wrong.an it really hurts when you have your hay stack hitt.

Well RR if this was the first time you have posted about the complete disregard for safety to himself and others people as well as all the animals I would say maybe he was having a bad day and lack of judgement.

BUT you have posted countless times on the stupid and dangerous things that you FIL does with no regard to consequences...Like death to himself ,others not to mention the chaos he causes as well as the frustration when you and your husband already have enough things to deal with/manage without his added thoughtfulness.

I think it might be time to sit down and have a talk with him about the fact that he makes very poor decisions at times and does not follow through when he starts a project.. Like when you are planning to start something ie. shutting off the water make sure you have an exact time line or a contingency plan if something should go wrong and it does take longer than thought...Also all tools ,etc are to be put back the way they were originally found NOT laying around nilly willy..

Good luck RR ,but it almost sounds like he is trying to sabotage you two because really no one who has ran a business as long as he has can possibly be that dense.. :roll:

Hope your weekend is better than your week and BTW we have been there as well sometimes family is a real effort.. :tiphat:

We are blue in the face talking. So I vent here for anonimity and better inlaw relations. Better than a fight. We have learned and are continueing to learn to watch out and head it off at the pass. But this one got pasted us. All is now well. The cattle got fresh water tonight. Until next time... :secret:

Has FIL been checked by MD??? Sounds like blood supply is not reaching his brain....Mabe blocked ???
Has he always been this way,or did this behaviour creep in(Like it did for my father)