Bad Toe On cow

Help Support CattleToday:

googly_moogly

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a very nice cow that sometime in her life cut the heck out of one of her toes and when ever we get any rain and mud, not often, she gets a little lame. She is one of my best cows so I don't want to just send her to the kill floor. Has anyone ever heard of surgically removing the hurt toe. Someone told me about a simular situation where the vet removed the toe and after a short while her cow got around just fine. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Goolgy Moogly

We had a friend do that with a cow that had either gotten a really bad case of footrot, or a bad abcess (can't remember which) I believe the cow was fine afterward, and not lame, but I am not 100% sure. Talk to your vet, and see what he/she has to say.

I've heard of it but never seen a cow with the surgery. I believe you can have it done one of two ways; either completely amputating the claw including the bone (in a horse it's called the coffin bone; think it's the same in a cow), or just removing the outside shell of the hoof and leaving the bone. Don't remember what you do in the meantime while you're waiting for the claw to grow back.

Latest posts