Bad publicly for the cowman.

Help Support CattleToday:

It would not take a whole lot more of what I see to turn me into an animal rights advocate.

In Robertson County we donate a show heifer each year to the participant who wins the essay contest. Three years ago, two other members of the board and I went to check on one of the heifers. The family said they could not be present but directed us to where the heifer was. She had just calved. It was appalling. The heifer was emaciated. The calf could not stand. The pen was a pig-sty. I see cattle mishandled, I don't know the extend to which it happens. I like to think most of us do a respectable job of animal husbandry.

I like to hope that this individual ran into some sort of situation that prevented them from doing the proper thing (ie medical issues), but unfortunately that isn't the usual case.

I have a neighbor that is dirt poor with too many cows. I'm surprised he has still retained possession of his animals. I believe that if our state was less red he probably would have by now.

Nesikep":286il39o said:
what a stupid article... there's gotta be some more information out there.. this has nothing.
I looked hard, and found nothing else about this..only picture shown was some generic file photo of very healthy looking cattle.

Perplexing...why didn't the owner just call a sale barn and have them come get them and sell for him? even at today's prices, 70 culls would be worth a good $um if the guy couldn't/wouldn't care for them.

Exactly.. a guy would have to be incapacitated, mentally or physically to let this happen,.. that's a lot of $$ out there

Sounds like the possibility of some fake news to me. If it's true, Fox needs to fill in some blanks.

Bestoutwest":1fh6ak0r said:
I like to hope that this individual ran into some sort of situation that prevented them from doing the proper thing (ie medical issues), but unfortunately that isn't the usual case.

I have a neighbor that is dirt poor with too many cows. I'm surprised he has still retained possession of his animals. I believe that if our state was less red he probably would have by now.
Is his cows in bad shape?? big difference in being poor,and a bad cattleman..

ALACOWMAN":3i7rq4i4 said:
Bestoutwest":3i7rq4i4 said:

Is his cows in bad shape?? big difference in being poor,and a bad cattleman..

They are not well fed and he can't afford to adequately irrigate in the summer. It's rather sad all the way around.