Bad Luck and a Decision

Help Support CattleToday:

Pshaw. 45 minutes? Ha. Only one I ever saw that quickly was one that I prolapsed intentionally, to suture a uterine tear I felt when I reached in after I pulled the calf to make sure there wasn't another one in there.
I guarantee you that in most cases, it took more than 45 minutes for a client to find me and get me there... much less if the prolapse had been out for a while before they found the cow/heifer with it hanging out.
Can't remember encountering a uterine prolapse that I couldn't get back in... and I'm only aware of one that didn't survive... big Limousin heifer... it was hanging almost all the way to the ground... in retrospect, I suspect that she'd ruptured a uterine artery before I got there and put it back in. Owners said she dropped over dead about the time I went out of sight over the hill.
Always kept at least a couple of 5-lb bags of sugar in the truck to pull the fluid out of the ones that had been out long enough to get swollen and hard.

Did see a couple of vaginal prolapses that I couldn't replace. Worst was a 3/4Brahman-1/4Bison heifer that had a round vaginal prolapse about volleyball size...the hole it came out of... you couldn't stick your finger through. I don't know how she did it. And she was wilder/crazier than ol' Ned.

Lucky_P":1fswwy66 said:
Pshaw. 45 minutes? Ha. Only one I ever saw that quickly was one that I prolapsed intentionally, to suture a uterine tear I felt when I reached in after I pulled the calf to make sure there wasn't another one in there.
I guarantee you that in most cases, it took more than 45 minutes for a client to find me and get me there... much less if the prolapse had been out for a while before they found the cow/heifer with it hanging out.
Can't remember encountering a uterine prolapse that I couldn't get back in... and I'm only aware of one that didn't survive... big Limousin heifer... it was hanging almost all the way to the ground... in retrospect, I suspect that she'd ruptured a uterine artery before I got there and put it back in. Owners said she dropped over dead about the time I went out of sight over the hill.
Always kept at least a couple of 5-lb bags of sugar in the truck to pull the fluid out of the ones that had been out long enough to get swollen and hard.

Did see a couple of vaginal prolapses that I couldn't replace. Worst was a 3/4Brahman-1/4Bison heifer that had a round vaginal prolapse about volleyball size...the hole it came out of... you couldn't stick your finger through. I don't know how she did it. And she was wilder/crazier than ol' Ned.
The one I just fixed on my old cow was BIIIG.. probably about 8-10" around and 16" hanging out.. it took a lot of patience. Surprisingly enough it stayed put once I got it in. I think it was out for most of a day and night, I had to get the whole herd in the corral to get her in the head gate.
I read about the sugar method in Harriot, never had one bad enough i needed it

Muddy... now that I think back on it, I got the percentages reversed... if you can imagine something worse...that thing was 3/4 Bison and 1/4 Brahman. Owner had a small herd of Beefalo... most had a bovine base that was heavy on Red Brangus breeding and could crash some stuff... but this thing... yikes! Big, open 3-yr old 'heifer' with the shape and color you'd expect of a bison cow - but longer legs and Brahman ears. Nothing nice or docile about her...she could reach and and smack you with all four feet...and the facilities were dangerously bad.
Today... I would just walk away and not even make an attempt to catch that thing. There ain't enough money.

SteppedInIt":sdj6uupp said:
I have had no luck with vets around here. Since our area has grown it seems they go for easy money. He said you need to get to a prolapse within 45 minutes. Also said if he could get it back in, the artery would rupture. Said his success rate is 1 out of 6. This is my first dealings w a prolapse. I would have done it myself if I had seen it done.

I've had them out all night--uterine prolapse--in 20 below weather. Had to trim some frozen off. Vet put back in, penicillin, healed up and sold in fall. This is a very tough part of the cow.

Very very seldom ever lose a cow to prolapse. One reason vets can so it so much easier is the spinal block them . You can learn to block them yourself, we've always had good vets---Montana---and I've got enough to do---altho I have put several back in.

Wash it up if need be, use a blanket for a sling, pour the sugar to it and start stuffing. Helps to have a 2nd (or 3rd) set of hands to hold the blanket, as one guy stuffs.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. We've only had one uterine prolapse & it was in the middle of the night. Went down to check & she had just calved/prolapsed, vet was here in 30 minutes. Got her cleaned up, slowly put it back in himself (no baseball bat), stitched her up, hefty dose of penicillin. Not only did she recover quickly, she was one of the first to breed back when we turned out the bulls & is currently raising a nice heifer. Not that this has anything to do with prolapsing but she was an abandoned twin/subsequent bottle calf, ornery little cuss :)

Latest posts