Bad evening

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Got a text message telling me my cows were out. Left a meeting, stopped and bought some cubes and headed for the pasture. It wasn't all bad; two cows were still in the pasture. Got everything in except for two steers who went renegade in a panic when they missed the gate and couldn't get to the cows.

Tractor had a flat. Filled the tire with the air tanks. Picked up two bales and blew a hydraulic hose enroute to the cows. Dumped the rounds right there. Went got two more with the back lift and shut all the gates. Let some cows back out and the steers came to them. Got everyone back in.

Needed fuel in the truck. Stopped and filled up. Cranked up the truck and decided to take a leak because it is 20 minutes to the house by now. Locked the keys in the truck. Cell phone in the truck. What an idiot! Have to phone a friend on a borrowed phone. 30 minutes late I am no longer blocking the gas pump.

Got home. Remember that flat on the tractor? Needed to refil the air tanks. Air hose blew! Hauled it inside the house and started a patch. Phone rings - Emergency Respose Drill. Head to your center and man your position. Here we go! 45 minutes later I arrive and log in. Just a drill. Head back home again.

Locking keys in the truck was the worse part. No one to blame for that but me! Must have hit the button on the arm rest with my elbow because I never lock the truck unless I am in the city. Gonna have to stash a spare key somewhere. Felt like an idiot.

Keys locked? Been there.

Now I always leave the window down just a bit when I step out for a stop somewhere - easier to break in if I lock myself out or the dog locks me out and yes - my border collie has done that! As for the bad guys - if they want my vehicle that bad they can have it - just leave the dog please.

Hope today is a better one!

Cheers

Bez

I can't believe everyone doesn't have a spare key stashed somewhere on their truck. I know I need one, use it all the time.

highgrit":2id4w45u said:
I can't believe everyone doesn't have a spare key stashed somewhere on their truck. I know I need one, use it all the time.

Got one in my wallet and another in one of those magnetic boxes behind the front bumper.

Yes indeed.

Think I will get a spare key made and ty-wrap it underneath somewhere. I don't do this sort of thing - so I thought!

Looking forward to that "looking back and laughing" part.

backhoeboogie":30a9w8zx said:
Got a text message telling me my cows were out. Left a meeting, stopped and bought some cubes and headed for the pasture. It wasn't all bad; two cows were still in the pasture. Got everything in except for two steers who went renegade in a panic when they missed the gate and couldn't get to the cows.

Tractor had a flat. Filled the tire with the air tanks. Picked up two bales and blew a hydraulic hose enroute to the cows. Dumped the rounds right there. Went got two more with the back lift and shut all the gates. Let some cows back out and the steers came to them. Got everyone back in.

Needed fuel in the truck. Stopped and filled up. Cranked up the truck and decided to take a leak because it is 20 minutes to the house by now. Locked the keys in the truck. Cell phone in the truck. What an idiot! Have to phone a friend on a borrowed phone. 30 minutes late I am no longer blocking the gas pump.

Got home. Remember that flat on the tractor? Needed to refil the air tanks. Air hose blew! Hauled it inside the house and started a patch. Phone rings - Emergency Respose Drill. Head to your center and man your position. Here we go! 45 minutes later I arrive and log in. Just a drill. Head back home again.

Locking keys in the truck was the worse part. No one to blame for that but me! Must have hit the button on the arm rest with my elbow because I never lock the truck unless I am in the city. Gonna have to stash a spare key somewhere. Felt like an idiot.

We all get to pay the stupid tax from time to time the goal is not to get over taxed.

I have a co-worker who locked his keys in his truck a while ago. I told him about my practice of an extra key in my wallet. He said "Yea, me too. My wallet is laying on the seat".

on a simular note, you ever been around someone that every thing they touch turns to sht... like their life is a constant circus act ....not talking about me right now either :cowboy:

After the 2nd or 3rd time locking the keys in the Ranger I've got a key stashed. Now I really need to get a flash light that works :(. 1am last night 25 f and I woke up cuz one of the heaters pop the breaker in the trailer. Found all the pieces to a flashlight in the truck, didn't work! Wondering where I left the working one that I used to look at a broken car last week;(. Finally remembered my Snap on light was laying in the floorboard and got the breaker tripped on. I'm still cold!

ALACOWMAN":uqqvefpk said:
on a simular note, you ever been around someone that every thing they touch turns to sht... like their life is a constant circus act ....not talking about me right now either :cowboy:

That was me last night. No drama. Just asking what next.

Sounds like Murphy was working overtime at your place yesterday. Hope today is much better. FWIW, have been down that same road myself, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. That's why I have a spare key both in my wallet and hidden in my toolbox.

TexasBred":sxlk4ou9 said:
highgrit":sxlk4ou9 said:

Got one in my wallet and another in one of those magnetic boxes behind the front bumper.

Memo to self: "find out where TB lives and go collect free truck". :D

TennesseeTuxedo":veh8wevx said:
TexasBred":veh8wevx said:
highgrit":veh8wevx said:

Memo to self: "find out where TB lives and go collect free truck". :D

You do rember that this is probally a farm truck right? If it is anything like mine it probally would not make it out of the county, much less Texas. :lol2: My rule of thumb is never drive a farm truck farther away from home than you can walk.

Rafter S":3jy155qq said:
I have a co-worker who locked his keys in his truck a while ago. I told him about my practice of an extra key in my wallet. He said "Yea, me too. My wallet is laying on the seat".

Rule #1: My wallet always stays in my pants pocket, even when laying on dresser at bedtime.
Rule #2: My trucks do not have any "automatic" electric power windows, door locks.
Rule #3: Remember #1 and #2.
Moral to Story: That's why pants have pockets...and vehicle doors have manual locks...

Running Arrow Bill":21g44fy1 said:
Rafter S":21g44fy1 said:

Rule #1: My wallet always stays in my pants pocket, even when laying on dresser at bedtime.
Rule #2: My trucks do not have any "automatic" electric power windows, door locks.
Rule #3: Remember #1 and #2.
Moral to Story: That's why pants have pockets...and vehicle doors have manual locks...

I am a firm believer in manual locks and windows.