Bad day at the farm.

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Had a stupid cow that is one of the last ones to calve decide that she needed to calve in an old pond. This pond had been dried up but with all the rain it has got water in it now. To make it worse she is not the friendly type. Got the 138 lb calf out of her (dead of course)

0522101156a95136783.jpg

0522101205a95162894.jpg

Then I took my wifes blazer to the shop to replace the rear u-joint and blew a brake line. I had ordered a u-joint the day before but hadnt looked at it ( wrong one). I did get a u-joint in then I decided to go home and hope today would be better.

Could have been worse. Could have lost both cow and calf. Least you can ship the cow and recoup your money out of her. :cowboy:

I'm seriously considering selling all the cows and vehicles, going back to bicycle's and maybe raise a few rabbits and plant a few fruit trees.

Aaron":3b30z00s said:
Could have been worse. Could have lost both cow and calf. Least you can ship the cow and recoup your money out of her. :cowboy:

As mad as I was yesterday I am thinking about eating her instead of shipping her. :)

JHH":zddofzc4 said:
Had a stupid cow....

Stupid is very appropriate! :x

STUPID would also apply to my cows' owner this weekend!

I started getting up some of the cows I need to sell on Friday. While gathering up cows again on Saturday morning, I come across a baby bull calf that didn't have a mother and was in obvious need of nursing. I call for the cows and one of my old cows shows up with a brand new heifer calf. I push the calf up to her to nurse, thinking he might be a twin and she kicks him off. I noticed another cow has also calved - with no sign of the calf - so I get her in the lot and try to get the calf to nurse her. She kicks him off as well. :? Figuring he was a twin of the old cow, because she was the only cow close to him in an 800 acre pasture and she just wasn't claiming him, I call and give the calf to my son-in-law's father to raise - and haul him over to his house. Complaining, during the whole process, because I figure the old cow's heifer calf is going to be a free-martin as well!

I had taken three cows to the sale barn on Friday, all were "showing" as pregnant when I looked at them the week before, so I had them preg check them before sale. I go to get the check on Saturday afternoon and one didn't check pregnant, although when I had looked at her the week before it was very apparent she was! The light bulb went on! - and it was obvious that I had taken that cow to the sale, not noticing that she had already calved - and that "wayward" baby bull calf was hers!

STUPID! :dunce:

George

rocket2222":76qldrq6 said:
I'm seriously considering selling all the cows and vehicles, going back to bicycle's and maybe raise a few rabbits and plant a few fruit trees.

I'm with you! We've got a 1 bedroom apartment in the back of our commercial building (store) in Stephenville.

Right now, getting rid of the cows, vehicles, equipment, and ranch - AND the home up in the DFW metroplex - seems attractive! Going to work would just require opening and shutting a door! And riding the bicycle to and from the grocery store would probably get me in better shape! :lol2: :lol2:

But that's probably because I'm feeling really STUPID right now because of the "lost" calf! And tomorrow is another day, Scarlett!

George

Herefords.US":2dtsl66x said:
rocket2222":2dtsl66x said:

I'm with you! We've got a 1 bedroom apartment in the back of our commercial building (store) in Stephenville.

Right now, getting rid of the cows, vehicles, equipment, and ranch - AND the home up in the DFW metroplex - seems attractive! Going to work would just require opening and shutting a door! And riding the bicycle to and from the grocery store would probably get me in better shape! :lol2: :lol2:

But that's probably because I'm feeling really STUPID right now because of the "lost" calf! And tomorrow is another day, Scarlett!

George

I don't care how bad a day/weekend you've had, you've really got to stop calling me Scarlett. :?: ;-) :)

JHH":1wt52xg3 said:
As mad as I was yesterday I am thinking about eating her instead of shipping her. :)
Now remember if you are going to eat her put her in a tank with clean water for a day or two to clean out the mud.:)

Jeff

and to think i was crying yesterday evening cause my hay got rained on.... seems this renegade cloud was intent on finding my place and turning loose

Latest posts