Bacon grease/Lard/Shortening

Help Support CattleToday:

L.A.

Reaction score
What do you use to strain for future use and reuse? What do you store it in? Do you freeze it?

1982vett

Reaction score
After rendering lard, mom and dad used cheese cloth. They stored it in tin cans on a shelf in the pantry.

After using, just pour off into another container thru a strainer as you would any oil or shortning.

Jogeephus

Reaction score
1982vett":3otp7vfh said:
After rendering lard, mom and dad used cheese cloth. They stored it in tin cans on a shelf in the pantry.

After using, just pour off into another container thru a strainer as you would any oil or shortning.

Ditto that. We keep the oils in separate containers. Bacon greese is keep in a little dish in the fridge and we don't worry much about strain this.

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
My grandmother saves bacon grease, but doesn't strain it. She keeps it in a clean coffee can with a lid, on the counter beside the oven.

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
Same here. I have two grease jars each with built in strainer....one for cooking oil and the other for bacon grease. I remove the strainer when pouring bacon grease in the jar.

Fried eggs alone are not any good at all unless cooked in bacon grease. :nod:

Lammie

Reaction score
I try hard to pour mine on handy fire ant beds. While it's hot. Doesn't do a lot to the ants but it makes me feel good.

Latest posts