Backgrounding calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I know this has probably been discussed but I missed it and only have a few minutes to spend on the computer right now so I'll ask the question and check back later. I've been reading some about backgrounding and would like some of the experts on here to explain it. However you feel is best is fine with me, Thanks!

Getting the calves rumen system adapt to the new feed (starch) they will consume in the feed lot. To learn you must first understand the rumen system. So that is what I would google up first.
I need to add this.
The rumen contains (basically) 2 different types of microbes. One for digesting fiber (grass), and the other for digesting starch (Feed). When changing from one to the other it must be done slowly to give the microbes time to grow.

What I call Backgrounding and what I did for a few years was buy feeder calves at 400-450 # and pasture them and grain them until they were 7-800# and then sell them as short-yearlings to neighbors for their feedlots to finish with the high amount of grain. I have even done it buying them in the fall and running on cornstalk fields with ground hay and a little grain., however I made better profit when I ran them on pasture with a little grain. Hope this helps. JLP

I think back grounding can be as simple useing a VAC45 program weaned and vacinated for 45 days. Get them used to eating out of a feed bunk and drinking from a tank or waterer.

The way the terms are used here it's the weaning and getting them bunk broke and ready to go either as stockers (out to pasture) or feeders (going to the feedlot).
Stockering is taken weaned calves, either backgrounded or not, and running them on pasture or corn stocks, etc., to get them heavier before sending them to the feedlot for finishing.
The feedlot can be either the producer finishing them or a buyer/feeder finishing them.

dun":1uv4rk3i said:
The way the terms are used here it's the weaning and getting them bunk broke and ready to go either as stockers (out to pasture) or feeders (going to the feedlot).
Stockering is taken weaned calves, either backgrounded or not, and running them on pasture or corn stocks, etc., to get them heavier before sending them to the feedlot for finishing.
The feedlot can be either the producer finishing them or a buyer/feeder finishing them.

Once again Dun is correct :nod: :nod:

dun":3pvhd1yl said:

Yep. Used to do both methods around here. The backgrounding part was during the winter when we would feed silage and hay (too much snow to put them out to pasture). The stockering was, like dun said, throwing the backgrounded calves onto pasture from middle of May to September or October. We bought the feeder calves as 500# weaners, turned them out on pasture when they were about 700#, and sold them as long yearlings at 900# to 1000# average through private treaty to the local feedlot. The amount of gain on pasture of course depending on the growing season or how much grass was available.

Just my 2 cents to chuck in.

Latest posts