back at it

Help Support CattleToday:

iowa hawkeyes

Reaction score
I would not have thought our spring would have turned out as nice as it has after the horrible winter we endured. I guess it all evens out in the end. We got our corn planting finished last week, along with the Indian corn. Today we planted popcorn and some of my big punkins and colorful punkins. I'll do more soon. Normally I wait until May 1 to plant punkins but there is a pretty good chance of rain tonight and thought I'd get some in.

finished up planting yesterday. Put in 59 different kinds of punkins, gourds, and squash. I have three different plots this year for a total of about 5 acres. There are some new varieties that sound fun. The maze is the biggest I've ever had, kind of by accident, but it'll be fine. Now I just have to get the hoe sharpened and wait for them to grow. We have another wind advisory for today, up to 50MPH and highs in the 50's.

it's been quite a spring so far. We got frost mid May, luckily my punkins weren't up yet. However our field corn got zapped so that put it behind. Then June 1 we got a hail storm that really dinged everything again. We will be getting new siding on the house. I had to replant some stuff but luckily it wasn't too big. Now we are strong wet weather pattern, lots of rain and thunderstorms. Last Thursday lightning struck and zapped the computer innards. Things can only get better!

IMG_3313_1.jpg

We have had a mild winter early spring and then a cold snap which set the folks that planted early back a few weeks. Did manage to get our spuds in but the first growth got frost killed but they didn't suffer and set back. Just worried that we will go fron April weather to August weather overnight.
Our ornamental corn just came up, was worried with all the rain I feared that it would rot in the ground. Last year the popcorn sold so well as ornamental (not so well as popcorn but made great Christmas and open house gifts) we changed our operating plan and went with a couple acres of indian corn and threw in some shaman blue and ruby red to add a bit extra. We'll see how the market goes.
Grand kids got the peppers in yesterday hopefully we won't get to cold.
Good luck to you this year.
Dave Mc