Baby stood this morning but has scours today...

Help Support CattleToday:

winddancer

Reaction score
Calf was standing pretty good this morning....now she has scours...Foreman is off getting her somethings for that ..she dranks some water from a bucket...ok what do i do for these scours and do i stop giving her mothers milk?
sorry if these questions seem silly but this is all new to me..she even ventured out of the barn earlier but collapsed.

With bucket reared calves we stop feeding milk and replace it with an electrolyte solution, reintroducing milk 50:50 with electrolyte for a couple of feeds when its better. You may want to give an injection of a broad spectrum antibiotic to cover against secondary infections.

ok the foreman came back with pills for her..teramycin. thats what they gave him said it cured scours in calves....I gave her two....and lots of water with it..

Try the feedstore and we have used gatorade and pedialite in a pinch. We have also used a raw egg in milk replacer to stop scours. I think that with swollen knees and scours that the calf probably has some infection. Good Luck!

The symptoms sound a lot like ill joint that starts from a navel infection. If so, the calf will need to be treated with antibiotics. In ill joint a the infection enter the through the navel and gets into the blood. The knee is a typical location for it to settle in. If the infection goes untreated, then it can enter the central nervous system and cause death. If you are close a vet school, see if you can get an appointment. The treatment for our calf cost about $64 for the exam and all the meds to treat the calf with.

the knee injury was caused from a kick from the mother when the baby tried nursing..the mother had mastitis..which has been taken care of now. Sh ehas no proiblem allowing her to drink . teh baby is just to weak to stand long for it.The weakness is from her not moving or getting up much in the last 12 days.
Now she has scours which we are treating for..

She is now drinking water from a bucket.I got two pils down her.she has been on an antibiotic for 5 days tonight.could this cause the scours?

winddancer":xvyinro4 said:
She is now drinking water from a bucket.I got two pils down her.she has been on an antibiotic for 5 days tonight.could this cause the scours?

Yes, this will add to the scouring problem.

Latest posts