Baby Icy

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
This calf was born late Saturday. His dam, Skunk Tail, was put up in the crowding pen with Stocky who was due on 2/26/14 and is holding out on me. Sunday morning, it rained hard. They are protected from wind but still not like a barn. I left when the rain turned to ice. It iced until the early hours of the morning on Monday, then turned to sleet/snow. It snowed about 6 inches here. The wind chill was in the minus category. When I finally got out to the farm on Monday, I wan anxious as I looked into the pen. The two cows were laying and their backs were armoured with ice and snow. I did not see the calf. When I went into the enclosure. He jumped up, stetched and bucked over to mom who was up now and was looking for breakfast. I named him "Icy" because he was plastered in ice and snow. Taken today.
21osqrn.jpg

Mom was watching!!!
e9brs4.jpg

otne2x.jpg

Aunt Stocky helping him get a drink at the bar. They start young in Kentucky!
2z5reif.jpg

20jqvqv.jpg

28cfrkx.jpg

Stocky is a heavy weight. Has she had a calf before? She looks just like the one my wife called butterball, that prolapsed. I went and checked cows and it was 38 here and blowing with a light mist of rain. I got real cold fast. So I gave everyone some cubes, and unrolled some hay for them.

highgrit":27mw2jxq said:
Stocky is a heavy weight. Has she had a calf before? She looks just like the one my wife called butterball, that prolapsed. I went and checked cows and it was 38 here and blowing with a light mist of rain. I got real cold fast. So I gave everyone some cubes, and unrolled some hay for them.

Highgrit, she is a Rocking P Livestock product. She came like that, hence the name. This will be her third calf. Her first one was a big-headed bull. I was just getting started so my neighbor came over and he thought we should give her some help. He did the pulling and said it was an easy pull. I now have a puller but have never had to use it. Knock on wood. This cow is built like a tank. I don't expect any problems but you never know!

Thanks for commenting!

tistis":wcsaec9j said:
looks good
This calf is not typical of my herd. Most are simangus. The Dam is a Maple Heights Farm, Owenton ,KY product that I got two years ago as a bred heifer. She had her first calf about this time last year. She is a skunk tail. She has a head shape that is different as you can see. Some think she has Pentzguar in her pedigree. The sire of this calf was a lanky long legged Angus bull out of the Frontier Line. This calf is long legged. Reminds me of a moose calf. Not a lot of muscle but her first calf was about like that and I sold him at 8 months for about $925. She is an excellent mother and very sound build. She is very atheletic if that word applies to cattle. I have seen her jump and run. She is agile.
2dliubt.jpg

Latest posts