Aw crap. Market correction has begun..

Help Support CattleToday:

Oil has bottomed, equity markets are recovering from an awful start to the month, overall demand is up and supplies are tight. Market is fundamentally over sold in the short term. Doesn't mean we may not see lower prices in the near term but a continued slide in prices over an extended period of time is unlikely. The dollar's strength against other currencies has slowed and looks to find a point of resistance. IMO the bear market takes root in 2nd quarter of 16' and continues until 1st quarter of 18'.

5 weeks ago [in Minnesota] we sold a load of 1490# holstein fats for 150.25
last week same quality 143.50
last year we were tickled to get 119.00 for holstein fats
now if we get 139.00 I'll feel cheated :lol2:

i think it's just a seasonal demand adjustment and prices will bounce back before spring.

I have a few I held back, late ones, I figure when there's green grass to put them on prices will be good. I am really hoping the cull cow market stays for another 9 months.. I have a bunch to go but I want them to have another calf for me first!

Prices here at the barn were better Thursday than I expected, cheaper than the week before, but better than the other sales earlier in the week. With futures going from down a limit sevarel days in a row to gains the last 2 days, I think it's all going to be ok.

Yeah sale prices we're pretty good here towards the end of the week

Lazy M":wi2q2l91 said:
I bought a load at Ledbetter Tuesday and didn't exactly get them give to me, they were cheap enough but not like I thought they might have been.

denvermartinfarms":1jaw9494 said:
Lazy M":1jaw9494 said:
I bought a load at Ledbetter Tuesday and didn't exactly get them give to me, they were cheap enough but not like I thought they might have been.
I wanted to buy several here last Monday but they were pretty darn high. Got 2 big real skinny calves and a longhorn cow.

I'm buying bulls 450 to 650lbs. As usual in a market decline the quality holds on longer and the common stuff takes the biggest hit first, that's helped me buying bulls like I buy last week.

denvermartinfarms":38w90t5l said:
I'm buying bulls 450 to 650lbs. As usual in a market decline the quality holds on longer and the common stuff takes the biggest hit first, that's helped me buying bulls like I buy last week.
I was going to try to buy thin 250-350lb bull calves but the 575 lb real thin bull calves looked good. All I want to do is put pounds on them and resell in the new year so they will do fine. There are no sales anywhere near here next week so I wont get much done. A couple sales in Ky the next week so I may take off and go.

Latest posts