Avoid using the wrong sheath

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I opened a new pack of sheaths last night to breed a cow at 9 pm. I bought the sheaths at my vet's office. Upon purchase, I presented my AI syringe to the assistant to assure I was getting the correct sheath. Well, it didn't help!!!

When I placed the sheath on the syringe, I thought it did not present the normal degree of friction when I pushed it over the friction cone at the back of the tool.

Went right through the cervix, identified the body of the uterus and unloaded about an inch beyond the anterior end of the cervix. As I pulled the gun out, I looked with confusion at the sheath which came loose and was hanging from the end of the syringe. The straw was only about 70% discharged. The sheath had not stayed in place and when I pushed the plunger forward instead of discharging, it pushed the sheath forward.

I checked the sheaths. I placed a sheath over the syringe and to my disappointment, I saw it was not grasping the friction cone. In fact, it was a split sheath. I have the syringe in the picture below:
1zvscjo.jpg

Notice the small friction cone. This is not one that requires a twist.

Not having the correct sheath, I reloaded using the "incorrect" sheath for the syringe, entered the cow and when I got to where I needed to be to discharge, I tightened my grip on the sheath to hold it in place and unloaded. I got the semen discharged but it sure makes for some uncertainty and concern that the sheath did not move and place the semen in one of the horns.

BTW: the proper sheath has a blue insert.

Sounds like you were not well prepared as you usually are Ron and doing it at 9.00pm in the middle of winter. Sounds like your a bit distracted. Have you got a girlfriend?
Ken

wbvs58":3fk42ldp said:
Sounds like you were not well prepared as you usually are Ron and doing it at 9.00pm in the middle of winter. Sounds like your a bit distracted. Have you got a girlfriend?
Ken

Ken, despite the challenge the wrong sheath posed; that cow (a first calf heifer - she calved 10/7/15) stuck. She passed her 21 day cycle as content as a Church mouse.

Latest posts