average cost for a c-section

Help Support CattleToday:

calf is still great. mom is feeling better and more inclined to kick him when he tries to suck. still supplementing with 2 bottles a day. her bag is loose and im really not sure if shes drying up or if hes getting some milk from her. i figure i will keep them penned for a week. if she doesnt give up in a week, i may just bring him in the barn and bottle feed him. i did see some stuff last nite at the store called calf claim..it was a powder you sprinkle on the calf..but i am sceptical that it will work. im trying to be patient...but shes pushing the limits of my patience..lol..right now they are in a pen under the lean to thats about 14x 12..im worried if i let them out, she will just head for the hills without him.

Keep them penned together, hobble the cow if you have to. I don't know why anyone would want a bottle calf. If they don't get it figured out sell by next week sell the calf.

If you bottle feed the calf and you want it to not look like a bottle calf with the pooched belly, you should try to get Land-O-Lakes Jersey Blend. It's excellent stuff (and priced accordingly).

i had someone else tell me to hobble the heifer...how many times a day do you have to do that? i work fulltime and hubby probably cant do it himself. her bag is not tight..i dont think its hurting her for him to nurse, i think she just doesnt get it.

Seperate the calf for the day and see if the cows bag changes. She may also be more interested in the calf if she cant touch it for a few hours.

Son of Butch":quqpx7jy said:
:nod: :nod: :nod:
wbvs58":quqpx7jy said:
If it was a cattle vet I think you would find the cost would be reasonable as the job would be done quickly and efficiently.
If it was a vet that was primarily small animals and just does the occasional cow maybe start looking for that 2nd job.
Ken
Large animal Vets as a rule are usually reasonable for the work involved.
"Cat & dog" vets as a rule are mostly crooks for the amount of work they do.

First off, why are people not asking in advance what the cost will be? Should be able to give a rough estimate at least. Then you can say no if you don't like it.

Why is someone a crook for charging what someone is willing to pay. Should we have government set a fair price? Didn't work too well in the Soviet Union, but many want to go back to that.

There are those that think cattle prices are too high also, and cattlemen are crooks. Guess we should sell for less, right? I mean, consumers have the right to cheap beef, don't they?

Last summer, someone posted on craigslist saying farmers were charging too much for hay. I figured if they didn't like the price, they could make their own hay, or get rid of their animals. Having animals is not mandatory.

Likewise, if one doesn't like what vets charge, they are free to do the work themselves, or put a bullet in their cow. Bullets are cheap, if that's what you want.

Fascinates me that people complain more about vet fees that are fraction of what human healthcare charges for the same thing. My wife went in for a few tests for 1.5 hours. Never saw a doctor, just a few technicians. Bill was $1500. $1,000 per hour without a doctor.

Now it was our fault for not asking in advance what the fees were, though human hospitals often can't tell you with all the red tape. We've learned to be more careful and do research. Often tests are unnecessary as were the ones I mentioned.

well to answer from my experience....we didnt ask in advance because it was an emergency situation. our vet also thought he would be able to pull the calf but after a couple tries with the jack, it became obvious that it wasnt going to happen. so we made the decision to have a c-section to try to save the pair. we were lucky. our vet is awesome and today, 2 weeks later, we have a healthy cow/calf pair. and the charge was minimal. i would have happily paid double what he charged and still considered it a success.

robinb":m2c1r6mr said:
well to answer from my experience....we didnt ask in advance because it was an emergency situation. our vet also thought he would be able to pull the calf but after a couple tries with the jack, it became obvious that it wasnt going to happen. so we made the decision to have a c-section to try to save the pair. we were lucky. our vet is awesome and today, 2 weeks later, we have a healthy cow/calf pair. and the charge was minimal. i would have happily paid double what he charged and still considered it a success.

Agree! And very happy both are doing well.

Latest posts