"Average" ADG and Feed Conversions?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Q: We just sold our fat calves. I was figuring ADG and feed conversion. What can I use for benchmarks for ADG and feed conversion?

A: I'll give some ranges for ADG and feed conversions. Conditions during the feeding period and type of ration will impact both ADG and feed conversions.

Calf-feds, calves that are weaned then put into a feedlot and finished. They usually are in the feedlot for 190 to 210 days.

ADG - 2.9 to 3.5 lb/day

Feed Conversions - - 6.0 to 6.7 lb of feed per pound of gain.

Yearlings, calves that graze pasture in the spring and summer then enter the feedlot. Therefor they are typically heavier and older when they enter the feedlot compared to calf feeds. They usually are in the feedlot for 100 to 130 days.

ADG - 3.75 to 4.4 lb/day

Feed Conversion 7.4 to 7.8 pounds of feed per pound of gain.

Following is Dr. Erickson's answer to this question.

There are a few different "benchmark" methods that can be used. There is a group called PCC (Professional Cattle Consultants) that feedlots can join for a fee, provide their information, then get a comparison to how other feedlots perform relative to theirs. This is spread across the country and split into different feeding regions. Many of the members are southern plains feedlots. This is useful because it provides information on closeouts for that period of time. Cattle performance varies based on time of year, cattle type (calf-feds versus yearlings), and diet things.

However, for a 700 lb to 1300 lb light yearling or large calf-fed, then a conversion between 6.5 to 7.0 lb of feed per lb of gain, with intakes of 22 to 24 lb of DM and a gain of 3.0 to 3.5 lb/d would be good.

You have likely sold on a carcass weight basis or will in the future. So, I encourage you to use a 63% dress to convert over to a final live weight. However, carcass weight is your ultimate outcome in terms of weight and the most critical factor for profitability once cattle are purchased.

If you have a tough winter and/or mud challenges, these can be quite different.

Dr. Rick Rasby, Professor of Animal Science
Animal Science, University of Nebraska - Lincoln, Lincoln, NE

greenwillowhereford II":6yw52t4m said:
I do not consider those conversion rates to be good. 4 to 5.5 pounds of feed per pound of gain is what I would call good.
What about heavies are you saying they should also convert in a range of 4 to 5.5 feed to 1 gain? Conversion is relative to the size of animal the larger the animal the poorer the conversion. That is the way it always has worked in my feedlots anyway. 4 to 5.5 will never happen up to 1400#.

somn":1r2awc6v said:
greenwillowhereford II":1r2awc6v said:
I do not consider those conversion rates to be good. 4 to 5.5 pounds of feed per pound of gain is what I would call good.
What about heavies are you saying they should also convert in a range of 4 to 5.5 feed to 1 gain? Conversion is relative to the size of animal the larger the animal the poorer the conversion. That is the way it always has worked in my feedlots anyway. 4 to 5.5 will never happen up to 1400#.

If you have a feedlot, you are obviously the expert, not I. But are you really ready to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will NEVER happen, or has never happened? I would agree that it has not in large numbers, but when you take an average, some of the animals in that average are doing much worse, and some are doing much better. If we as breeders can identify those animals that are much more efficient, then we can improve the average.

Again, I am not the expert, but isn't 1400 a bit on the high side of fitting the box? I have been shooting for that 1250# finished steer in my genetic selection. Have you ever read the data provided by the Colorado State University's early 90's study of Hereford feeders versus the feedlot average? Somewhere I have two books containing this and several other studies of the same era. They were provided to me by the gentleman in charge of that research after I e-mailed him requesting it.

I have sometime a few years ago posted some of those results on this site under my original username of Greenwillowherefords. If I could dig them up it would save me from ransacking the closet trying to find it again.

I look forward to a respectful discussion on this subject.

Well you are correct you might get a 4 to 5.5 but that isn't a average. The heading of this post was average ADG and Feed conversions. It will take alot of 100% culling of mongrel herds all over the country to improve the average. 1400 has been paying the best. No premium for fitting in the box. I'm selling pounds now not premium's that are not there anymore.

somn":1wlkezsq said:
Well you are correct you might get a 4 to 5.5 but that isn't a average. The heading of this post was average ADG and Feed conversions. It will take alot of 100% culling of mongrel herds all over the country to improve the average. 1400 has been paying the best. No premium for fitting in the box. I'm selling pounds now not premium's that are not there anymore.

You are right, I guess I strayed from the heading; but the word I was responding to was "good" in regards to those conversion numbers. I will try to look up more of the data. You might be surprised at how much more efficient those Herefords were than the feedlot average. At that time, feedlot adg was 2.9 (If I remember correctly) versus the 4.1 for the Herfs, and the Herfs were doing it on about 2 pounds less feed per pound of gain.