Automatic or Manuel

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar p

Reaction score
I opened my mouth yesterday and priced my Dodge dually. Man showed up with a check today. It was a 6 speed straight shift 4x4. Got to have another. What do you guys think about automatic transmission? Auto vs manuel

In these mountains I still like the manual, but i think the auto will work just fine almost everywhere.

Two things I have had people try to get me to price lately have been my Dodge duelly flatbed and my Wilson cattle trailer. Both times I priced them for what a new one would cost just in case.

I haven't driven one of the newer Dodges with an automatic, but I've heard they are supposed to be alot better than they were a few years back, but personally I'd go with another manual. I reckon that's just what I'm used to, and the Dodge 6 speed manual seems to match up really good with the Cummins. I hope Dodge keeps the manual tranny as an option. I may be wrong, but I don't think Chevy and Ford even offer it anymore.

A.J.":3lec0cay said:
I haven't driven one of the newer Dodges with an automatic, but I've heard they are supposed to be alot better than they were a few years back, but personally I'd go with another manual. I reckon that's just what I'm used to, and the Dodge 6 speed manual seems to match up really good with the Cummins. I hope Dodge keeps the manual tranny as an option. I may be wrong, but I don't think Chevy and Ford even offer it anymore.

Its sad but true, they had to cater to the buyers who cruise mainstreet and never pull a trailer a day in their life or go off road, but must have a diesel 4x4. I wish Chevy still had a manual, my Silverado would be even better than it is now, and its pretty darned good :cowboy:

Say oscar I was just wondering do I need to respond on this thread too. Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this the same question you asked on the other thread?

Red Bull Breeder":gcykkui5 said:
You ain't wrong, ford and chevy does not offer a manual anymore. Have not saw a Auto that will hold up for me yet.
i got a buddy that bought a new 3500 dodge standard years ago.an by the time the truck was over a yr old he had blown 4 or 5 clutches.the last time he blew the clutch the tow truck hooked the truck up wrong an blew the tranny to bits.he had war with the dealer an they fixed both clutch an tranny under warrenty.then he traded it for a 3500 dodge auto asap,an he is still driving the autos.an he had drove them trucks all his life putting 600,000 miles or more on the trucks in a short time.

novatech":1hv8pzkj said:
Say oscar I was just wondering do I need to respond on this thread too. Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this the same question you asked on the other thread?
Pretty much same question, other one had to do with, life time drivetrain warranty.

I had a 08 dodge dual wheel manuel . Went through 4 clutches . I've got a 11 dodge dual wheel auto now. 40 k miles and no problems . I pull at least 7 k pounds a day some times 25 to 30 k pounds during hay season . To much motor for the standard .

Not to much motor for a standard. Blowing the clutch is operator error. Any time any one wants to see how there truck will pull come see me. Where i live will fry your auto transmission ford chevy or a dodge.

Red Bull Breeder":2f0rz99r said:
Not to much motor for a standard. Blowing the clutch is operator error. Any time any one wants to see how there truck will pull come see me. Where i live will fry your auto transmission ford chevy or a dodge.
well the guys im talking about has over 100yrs of pulling with the manuals.an you tell them they dont know how to drive emm,an most likely youd be wondering why you was on the floor.theyve ran pulling full loads in the mountains prolly close to 3 mil miles.most years they would put 100,000mi on a 1 ton.an thats on the road.

I've been driving standards since I was 13 that was the first of the 20 or so trucks I've had burn the clutch up . I even put a high compression racing clutch in it and it didn't last . It was rated for 900 hp 1200 ft pounds torque. The weak like is defiantly the clutch .

I drove both today. The only thing I didnt like, about the automatic it was a little slow starting off. Seemed like it had plenty of power after that. The standard had all the power, start to finish. I'm just afraid I wont like the auto, when I load it down. Just cant decide.Thanks for every one's Opinions.

Depends where you're at. I was pulling a loaded trailer through wet snow on the desert today and really glad I had a 4L and 1st gear on our Dodge. I've gotten stuck in the middle of an icy road with an auto pulling a loaded gooseneck flatbed, I just don't trust autos like I trust manuals when you've got sand/snow/mud/ice.

bigbull338":mc54ov02 said:
Red Bull Breeder":mc54ov02 said:
well the guys im talking about has over 100yrs of pulling with the manuals.an you tell them they dont know how to drive emm,an most likely youd be wondering why you was on the floor.theyve ran pulling full loads in the mountains prolly close to 3 mil miles.most years they would put 100,000mi on a 1 ton.an thats on the road.

Bring them on Big Bull I have been on the floor before, I have also been the one left standing. Lots of difference in pulling on the highway and the dirt road we pull on here. Steep assed dirt roads with a 32 ft gooseneck with 22 round bales will make **** pop. You better have a manual transmission cause you auto is going smoke.

oscar p":1r6s5cqu said:
I drove both today. The only thing I didnt like, about the automatic it was a little slow starting off. Seemed like it had plenty of power after that. The standard had all the power, start to finish. I'm just afraid I wont like the auto, when I load it down. Just cant decide.Thanks for every one's Opinions.
The problem is both are choked down with the exhaust . Dpf and egr . I removed all of that on my truck . The auto seems slower but it's really not . I've owned both . I can pull a 40 foot float with 24 4x5 rolls at 70 no problem . Might be a little flat here but I haven't smoked my auto yet . Out of the 40 k miles on my truck this year . 32 k of it is towing . You can manually shift the auto also

JSCATTLE":14vken0l said:
oscar p":14vken0l said:
The problem is both are choked down with the exhaust . Dpf and egr . I removed all of that on my truck . The auto seems slower but it's really not . I've owned both . I can pull a 40 foot float with 24 4x5 rolls at 70 no problem . Might be a little flat here but I haven't smoked my auto yet . Out of the 40 k miles on my truck this year . 32 k of it is towing . You can manually shift the auto also

I've talked to several guys that have newer Dodges and they said removing all of the emissions crap like you did makes a huge difference. They run a lot better and get several more mpg without all of that on there. The only thing they worry about is voiding the warranty, but that's the chance they're taking since they think the benefits outweigh the risks.

The guy at the dealership I bought my truck from runs the service part . He owns the dealership. He told me to keep the parts just in case he has to call a factory rep out . He will even put it all back on . I get 18.5 to 19 on the highway unloaded . And around 15 towing . When I bought the truck I got 13 hwy and 9 towing . Cost me about 800 bucks

Latest posts