Austrian Winter Peas

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark

Reaction score
I'm in my 3rd year of planting peas in the fall along with Jumbo Rye for soil enhancement and erosion control, with no supplemental fertilizer. I usually plant 50#/acre @$40 per 50# bag, but this fall only put out about 30...just to see what kind of stand the difference would make. With large seeds, that's not all that much when you consider plant density. Other thing worth noting is that I never use inoculant like some Legumes require.

Was out checking the other day and peas were up around 24 inches, just starting to bloom. Where peas were thick rye was thick. Where peas were sparse, rye was still visible, but there was a profound difference in height in the rye adjacent to a pea plant as compared to open areas where peas were missing. I don't have to get on my hands and knees and dig up the roots to look and see if the nitrogen nodules are on the roots. The rye tells me what I want to know.

Currently my operation is to harvest the combo in the spring when weather lets me get a cutting dried properly for baling, broadcast supplemental NPK fertilizer (not much), disc, spike harrow and pack, then drill in sorghum-sudan for a summer crop and go.

Point here is that AWPs are a super, economical soil enrichment/erosion protectant and well worth your time and money and even though they are sort of a vine, don't clog up your cutter nor baler. I had heard about them for years and with fertilizer prices a few years ago I decided to see if I could reduce those costs and still get good results in my haying operation. Obviously I can.

Stocker Steve said:
I like peas. How much longer to they take to dry compared to grasses?
As compared to "Jumbo Rye", they are crisp before Rye is ready to bale.

I always plant some for the deer. Back in Jan. I found a feed store that had 5 bags left and I got them for 20.00 per bag I got them stored in a air tight plastic drum in a place where it wont get to hot or to cold, I hope they will still be good this fall ???

I was going to follow my Sudan with forage oats. I'll probably stay the course, but your peas sound pretty intriguing.

snoopdog said:
How do you plant them?

Drill and follow with a roller/packer. Depth depends on how soft the dirt happens to be at the spot. Use a 1960's era JD drill with individual spring tensioners cranked down tight. Drill cover/lid has a chart for peas with varying planting rates. Now to answer a question as to what is the yield percentage as a function of planting depth......who knows.

BRYANT said:
I always plant some for the deer. Back in Jan. I found a feed store that had 5 bags left and I got them for 20.00 per bag I got them stored in a air tight plastic drum in a place where it wont get to hot or to cold, I hope they will still be good this fall ???

I only get weevils in oats and some kind of pest in Milo that bores a little hole and leaves a lot of dust,apparently a classified kind of Weevil (see below). If the seller uses pesticides in his feed storage facility I don't have the problem. On low volume feed stores with no protection, I have had serious problems.

On weevils, I had to use my Apple Imac dictionary for correct spelling and happened to note in the definition some 97,000 known varieties exist........really! Ok let's line up 97,000 tiny bugs and check out the differences. Daaaaaaa!

On seed holdovers from year to year, my Jumbo Fescue 50# feed sacks are sitting uncovered, in a corner in my shop, (metal building, concrete floor) and are now over 4 years old and zero contamination and apparently still producing fine....did ok for this growing season. Have read on other types of seeds that the yield rate increases while stored, forget the crop.

Latest posts