auctionboy- prices

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
auctionboy-

as the previous thread was locked before i had an opportunity to respond, i will use this new thread as an opportunity to respond. You didn't seem to notice that i stated that i needed to adjust my price 15 cents/lb. to accomodate a corn price increase of $2.00. i don't call that market driven. how long did it take for corn to go from $3 to $5? and in that timeframe, how many increases do you think there were in various sectors of the meat industry due to higher priced corn. are all these mark-ups justified? or are some of the sectors taking advantage-using the corn price increase as an excuse to fill their pockets??? i havent raised my price yet. i would beg to differ that waiting up to 12 months to adjust my price - justifiably - could be construed as market driven.

I know what my feed costs are going to be prior to feeding out, the corn for the most part is on hand, and i didn't feel justified putting the screws to my customers just because a lot of others are doing it. i make my money selling good beef, and i try my best to be honest and trustworthy in everything i do. my customers know what they will be paying for their beef (sometimes up to six months prior to taking possession).

additionally, i will note that the animals are healthy, no bum legs, cancer eyes, abcesses, or anything else that would cause them to be docked at the salebarn should i choose to sell them in that fashion. if a customer would decide to come to the farm to choose their own animal- that is perfectly o.k. by me. i have nothing to hide, and encourage people to see how the animals are cared for, and the condition they are kept in.

ROB

That is not a responce because I never adressed you in the first place. Go back and read my post and see how everyword is being twisted. I haven't sold an beef since the price of corn went up but when I do It will still be at $2.00/#. I decided on that price at the super market a few years ago. As for selling lesser cattle at high prices that statement was poking fun at some of the discounts to good beef because of its hide color, horns.....my beef usually has a white face and taste better then anything! Just because packer want to take advantage of farmers and make these discounts doesn't mean I have to sell what I have on there discount schedule. I have never sold a sick animal for slaughter! I am not answering anymore questions about it!

auctionboy":3cv6qz5n said:
my beef usually has a white face and taste better then anything!
You must have one heck of a program when you can take auction barn cattle and in less then 30 days slaughter them and make beef that tastes better than anything else. Everybody in the country should run there cattle business using your method as the model.

auctionboy":219g7t2v said:
That is not a responce because I never adressed you in the first place. Go back and read my post and see how everyword is being twisted. I haven't sold an beef since the price of corn went up but when I do It will still be at $2.00/#. I decided on that price at the super market a few years ago. As for selling lesser cattle at high prices that statement was poking fun at some of the discounts to good beef because of its hide color, horns.....my beef usually has a white face and taste better then anything! Just because packer want to take advantage of farmers and make these discounts doesn't mean I have to sell what I have on there discount schedule. I have never sold a sick animal for slaughter! I am not answering anymore questions about it!

you didnt address me?

Report this postReply with quote Re: Butcher Prices
by auctionboy on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Rob- you say consumers don't have to worry about market driven price changes, but that is after you say you are making a price change do to the corn market price. I think most home grown beef is better then feedlot crap, some people are focusing only on fat as what is quality, that's not what my customers think.

looks like an address to me.

regardless whatever your thinking, what really irks me is the fact that you have stated you sometimes purchase discount calves at the auction (due to bad leg, pink eye and whatever else...) feed them for a week or so, sell them for $2.00/lb, and then tell everyone that feedlot calves are crap! it is people with attitudes like yours that shed a bad light on the whole industry. i for the life of me don't know how a person could sleep at night doing what your doing. you should seriously consider how you are doing things. for instance, do you have any idea how many meds could have been pumped into those calves you are purchasing prior to their sale. withdrawal times of 45 days are not uncommon depending on the type of vaccine.

ROB

Buying weak calves and nurturing back to health is one thing, but medicating and flipping them in one week is another story. I look down on that behavior. I am not accusing anyone; just disagreeing with the practice.

ROB":2z4b1743 said:
auctionboy-

as the previous thread was locked before i had an opportunity to respond, i will use this new thread as an opportunity to respond. You didn't seem to notice that i stated that i needed to adjust my price 15 cents/lb. to accomodate a corn price increase of $2.00. i don't call that market driven. how long did it take for corn to go from $3 to $5? and in that timeframe, how many increases do you think there were in various sectors of the meat industry due to higher priced corn. are all these mark-ups justified? or are some of the sectors taking advantage-using the corn price increase as an excuse to fill their pockets??? i havent raised my price yet. i would beg to differ that waiting up to 12 months to adjust my price - justifiably - could be construed as market driven.

I know what my feed costs are going to be prior to feeding out, the corn for the most part is on hand, and i didn't feel justified putting the screws to my customers just because a lot of others are doing it. i make my money selling good beef, and i try my best to be honest and trustworthy in everything i do. my customers know what they will be paying for their beef (sometimes up to six months prior to taking possession).

additionally, i will note that the animals are healthy, no bum legs, cancer eyes, abcesses, or anything else that would cause them to be docked at the salebarn should i choose to sell them in that fashion. if a customer would decide to come to the farm to choose their own animal- that is perfectly o.k. by me. i have nothing to hide, and encourage people to see how the animals are cared for, and the condition they are kept in.

ROB

The NCBA reports that in the last year retail beef prices have only risen a mere 7% while other inputs have gone of in some cases almost 100%. Since my cost of finishing cattle has more then double because of corn prices which are 40% of my finishing cost per steer I would say it is well merited to raise prices based on the fact of the rise in corn prices. My projections for this year were based on $3.40 corn as last year that was the projection from the economist at extension that predict the markets. Today I am going to buy another 100 bushel at $5.25, last week I bought 111 bushel at $5.10/bushel. Unfortunatley I can't raise my beef prices anymore as beef is a luxary, not a necessity and I live in a state that has the worst economy in the country, my direct market sales are 500% less this year already then they were last year. High corn is killing me.

hayray- the $0.15/lb price increase i plan on making figures out to about an 8% overall increase in price. maybe i should rethink my strategy and only take a $0.12/lb increase so i can be in line with the rest of the country :lol2: . off your numbers - the increase in corn shows a 54% increase with today's price vs. last year. what have you been doing to trim costs? i've been doing the same thing for the last couple of years. when the calves reach 800-850 lbs. they get moved to the feedlot and are on a diet of 90% corn and 10% impact 44. based on the last delivery, it is costing me $305.00 to put on the last 400 lbs. of gain needed to finish ($0.76/lb gain "average" - feed cost only).

ROB

ROB

your costs are right in line with mine. I am starting to background and stocker more of my own raised feeders and some of those lightweights I am buying I am feeding more of a 50-50 feed to hay until that 700-800 lb. range before I up the 90 concentrate - 10 roughapge. Before this year they were pretty much on full feed right from the get go. I also plan on raising more select then choice carcass for direct market, they won't bring squat at the sale barn, so fat heifers will go to sale barn if I have to and this year it is looking like I am going to have to, people around here just don't have the cash this year to buy much freezer beef.

hayray- the last couple of years our hay has been short, barely enough to get the cows through the winter. and right now common hay is costing $50/bale and up. thats why i opt to feed the impact 44 mix. no hay required. right now we calve spring and fall. i'm planning on changing that over to a late spring calving season only - starting next year. i would like to begin calving late april or 1st of may and wean calves in late november. carrying cows through the winter with a fall calf is for the birds when you overstock you acres to begin with. i really don't see trimming much cost on the feedout stage - so i am concentrating efforts on the production/cow maintenance end. i do plan on growing my own corn this year instead of purchasing, but...thats going to introduce a new set of problems as i don't have the means to blend the feed if i keep it stored at home, and with as much corn as will be planted in our neck of the woods- i don't see much hope in storing it at town where it could be mixed. i just hope there will be a bridge to cross when i get there :lol2:

ROB

ROB":23gea39x said:
auctionboy":23gea39x said:

you didnt address me?

Rob- you say consumers don't have to worry about market driven price changes, but that is after you say you are making a price change do to the corn market price. I think most home grown beef is better then feedlot crap, some people are focusing only on fat as what is quality, that's not what my customers think.

regardless whatever your thinking, what really irks me is the fact that you have stated you sometimes purchase discount calves at the auction (due to bad leg, pink eye and whatever else...) feed them for a week or so, sell them for $2.00/lb, and then tell everyone that feedlot calves are crap! it is people with attitudes like yours that shed a bad light on the whole industry. i for the life of me don't know how a person could sleep at night doing what your doing. you should seriously consider how you are doing things. for instance, do you have any idea how many meds could have been pumped into those calves you are purchasing prior to their sale. withdrawal times of 45 days are not uncommon depending on the type of vaccine.

ROB
I never wrote any of that! Maybe you should check your facts instead of listening to Slander. I am not even resonding to what Slander has to say to me. You to can keep bending the truth, but that doesn't make it true. I didn't address you because you didn't ask any questions you just ranted and preached! Save your questions because just like Slander you want to repeat lies instead of actually discussing anything.

auctionboy":1qesbkm3 said:
ROB":1qesbkm3 said:
auctionboy":1qesbkm3 said:

you didnt address me?

ROB
I never wrote any of that! Maybe you should check your facts instead of listening to Slander. I am not even resonding to what Slander has to say to me. You to can keep bending the truth, but that doesn't make it true. I didn't address you because you didn't ask any questions you just ranted and preached! Save your questions because just like Slander you want to repeat lies instead of actually discussing anything.

who's Slander? :lol:

Latest posts