Aubracs

Help Support CattleToday:

I missed by about an hour. All I caught was the last lot over the internet. A semen lot at that...

What were the high and low prices at the sale?

Roadapple":1nyjveeo said:
How many watched the Aubrac sale on RFD today? What did you think of them?
I watched it for the entire sale. They had a good representation for their "1st ever National Aubrac Sale" and a lot of the bulls were worth, in my opinion, more than they brought, which is the case in a lot of sales. Aubrac is an unknown breed, comparatively speaking, so a lot of breeders know nothing about them. But they should now, after Superior carried the sale. Those of you who have read Eric Grant's comments on the Forum regarding Aubrac cattle several weeks know that he is VERY knowledgeable about the breed. He has been involved with them for 10 or 15 years, is the current President of the Association and has a Ranch here in Colorado in the Steamboat Springs area (about 8000 ft. altitude). Eric also writes articles in several publications - as a matter of fact he has five articles in the current Angus Journal, and will have in each issue for the next year or so. He is the owner of Wahoo! Cattle Company of Oak Creek, CO. His six entries in today's sale averaged $2716.66, with his best lot bringing $5000.00.

There were several pens of females which were really bargains, and were fine looking examples of beef females. Aubracs are noted for their ability to gain of just grass and forage, and I am impressed with the breed.

DOC HARRIS

KANSAS":2tkqg5hi said:
I missed by about an hour. All I caught was the last lot over the internet. A semen lot at that...

I saw a $5500 bull sell and an $800 bull sale. Apparently the buyers agreed with me, there was a lot of variety in the quality offered. But that's true of most consignment sales.

I wondered why they didn't give the Aubrac% on at least the first pen of three heifers.

Did anyone see the semen sell?

I was trying to decide if they were the cheapest registered cattle or the most expensive crossbred.

Frankie":1s18gqam said:
KANSAS":1s18gqam said:

I saw a $5500 bull sell and an $800 bull sale. Apparently the buyers agreed with me, there was a lot of variety in the quality offered. But that's true of most consignment sales.

I wondered why they didn't give the Aubrac% on at least the first pen of three heifers.

Did anyone see the semen sell?
Time constraints necessitated cutting the Superior Auction portion off on the "hour" and the Embryo Lots and the Seman packages were continued on the internet. I didn't see them sell.

Regarding the absence of percentages expressed on the Pens of Multiple heifers, I would presume that the fact that BOTH the sires and dams were comprised of multi-breeds (Balancers, Composites, etc.), and attempting to ascertain the percentages would be an exercise in futility, and, in essence, be subjective at best. The footnotes provide the BREED %'s, and catalog space restrictions preclude excessive verbosity. I have observed with many of the "High Dollar" registered sales of all breeds, the Sale Managers, in effect, explain in intricate detail how to manufacture a valuable timepiece - - when all I wish to know is - what time it is!

DOC HARRIS

oakcreekfarms":3lbbnr47 said:
I was trying to decide if they were the cheapest registered cattle or the most expensive crossbred.
Actually - neither. They were not all Fullbloods, they were not all purebred, and they were not all crossbreds. They are in the Adolescent stages of becoming an exciting addition to Cross Breeding protocols!

DOC HARRIS

skcatlman":4sj5b0wq said:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what is an Aubrac? an import or composite. Could someone explain.

This should help: http://www.aubracusa.com

There was quite an interesting discussion on here not long ago about them. Do an author search for Aubracusa, who is one of our members on here, and you'll learn a lot.

I thougt you all knew about this one, it has to do with aerodynamics, opps, I mean hairodynamics, the staighter the hair the less wind resistance, the more efficant they can graze. There probebly be an Epd for it soon.

KMacGinley":5s8znwxy said:
Hey Doc: In Manitoba, that just may be a big requirement. :)

Might be? You KNOW it is.

Just like down here we don't want those wooly cattle.

DOC HARRIS":23k5m3tv said:
frenchie":23k5m3tv said:
Looks like they have a decent haircoat to them
I have a question for you, Frenchie. Is "a decent haircoat" the prime criterion you use for seedstock selection?

DOC HARRIS

Nope...,but lack of it is prime criterion for the order buyers here to the tune of a .10-15 cents a lb discount

frenchie":3oj2r869 said:
DOC HARRIS":3oj2r869 said:
frenchie":3oj2r869 said:
I have a question for you, Frenchie. Is "a decent haircoat" the prime criterion you use for seedstock selection?

DOC HARRIS

Nope...,but lack of it is prime criterion for the order buyers here to the tune of a .10-15 cents a lb discount

Good answer Frenchie. Better reply than most would give.

frenchie":8nhtop36 said:
DOC HARRIS":8nhtop36 said:
frenchie":8nhtop36 said:

DOC HARRIS

Excellent justification for understanding the difference in requirements of various traits because of ambient temperatures at different times of the year in different parts of the world! The Aubracs, apparently, perform very well in almost all types of weather and tempertures. Eric Grant can be more specific about that than I.

DOC HARRIS

Hello, everyone --

Thanks for the comments about the sale.

We woke up at 4:30 a.m. the morning of the sale to a devastating blizzard. I-80 was closed down. US 6 and the backroads were pretty much drifted in. We couldn't even get the consignors or the auctioneer from the hotel in Lincoln to the sale location until about 90 minutes before the sale. We had buyers stranded on the roads in Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota.

Our decision to proceed with it no doubt hurt our sale average, but we had relatively strong demand all things considered. Most of the cattle sold to buyers on Superior, since very few local buyers could make it there in person.

All in all, the effort was a good showing for the breed, and we feel good about the new people we now have involved in it. We are doing a great deal of self-reflection right now, trying to determine a lower-risk, less labor-intensive venue to market Aubrac cattle to interested people around the country. I think all of us are feeling a little "burned" by the weather this morning. But that's life in the cattle business.

We have a few bulls and females that are still available for purchase. Write me a note at [email protected] if you're interested.

Best,

aubracusa

We might be interested in some bull semen if you could
locate a bull that had a 6 star rating on the Bovigen
tenderness DNA test; with a frame of 4 to 5. Very good looking cattle & it would be interesting to have one crossed with a Murray Grey.

Latest posts