Assistance on how to find acres for LEASE for new calf coming my way?

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan A M

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Logan and I have spent the last few years working with Cattle, and calf management as well as through my recently acquired degree in Agricultural Animal Science I have gained experience. I know I am still "Young " in this whole calf and Cattle life. The owner where I work has a calf or two due soon and offered them to me. How do I find where I can lease land for these two and care for them ? I have searched and clearly not under acruate titles. I live outside of the Kansas City Mo area near Warrensburg, Higginsville and Lone Jack regions. Any input on where to search for lease for cattle land wouild be so appreciated. Thank you all ahead of time.

Door knocking would be a good start to get the word out and if you leave a good impression on people they may pass your contact details to a friend if they have nothing. Don't forget to leave your contact details. Once people know you are looking often things come up in conversations and you might get a mention.

Ken

Welcome to CT! You may also want to spend quality time at the nearest sale barn. Talk to the sellers & buyers, see who's selling and why. Ask if anyone has pasture to lease. Not sure about your area but the Midwest has been hit hard by the drought and you may find land, but also may have to supplement hay, water, etc.

Welcome to CT.
Start talking to cattle producers in your area. You may be able to trade some labor for a place to keep your cattle and pick up some valuable knowledge along the way.

I have had good luck just driving around looking for places where the pasture is not being used. Knock on their door and inquire. Also when talking to cattle men you should mention that you just need a small place. If you wanted a hundred acres they may no tell you because they might want it. But 5 or 10 acres is probably too small for them to want.

Why don't you see if the owner of the place where you are working will let you just keep them there? That would allow you to use his facilities while you look around to find your own place and get it ready. Leasing a bare pasture with no pens is not a good idea for a beginner.

I have had good luck just driving around looking for places where the pasture is not being used. Knock on their door and inquire.
My exact thoughts too. Get off playing on your phone or expecting social media to solve your problems.
It's a limited area knock on doors in person and ask for referrals, if not them, if they know any who could help.
Seems the world is moving away from face to face human contact to the point it never crosses young'uns minds to talk to
anyone in person other than their small peer group.

Why don't you see if the owner of the place where you are working will let you just keep them there? That would allow you to use his facilities while you look around to find your own place and get it ready. Leasing a bare pasture with no pens is not a good idea for a beginner.
Not to mention that the calves may be safer and more socialize3d if left in the original herd.

Latest posts