Asparagus

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Looks like we will have a few spears of asparagus in a couple days. As a child I was only used to having the store bought canned stuff and didn't really like it. A few years ago, my mother planted some asparagus beside the house. I wasn't very excited about it, but when we started eating on it, man it's good stuff.
Both my mother and wife cook it with butter and a little salt. Had some grilled at O' Charleys one time it was pretty good but I like my vegetable cooked till they're pretty soft.

Ky hills":2jqm2giu said:
Looks like we will have a few spears of asparagus in a couple days. As a child I was only used to having the store bought canned stuff and didn't really like it. A few years ago, my mother planted some asparagus beside the house. I wasn't very excited about it, but when we started eating on it, man it's good stuff.
Both my mother and wife cook it with butter and a little salt. Had some grilled at O' Charleys one time it was pretty good but I like my vegetable cooked till they're pretty soft.

Asparagus is my favorite accompanying vegetable with my steak, well, along with my tater of course.

TennesseeTuxedo":1vabwx4w said:
Ky hills":1vabwx4w said:

Asparagus is my favorite accompanying vegetable with my steak, well, along with my tater of course.

Yep. Me too. It has some healthy benefits

My nephew gave my wife some starter plants a couple of years ago. They have been producing, but the wife eats them raw before she gets in the house.

slick4591":1hymj64r said:
My nephew gave my wife some starter plants a couple of years ago. They have been producing, but the wife eats them raw before she gets in the house.

That is me! I have lots planted, but they almost never make it to the pan. I eat them as they grow, raw and fresh! Nothing better than fresh, crunchy asparagus! LOVE IT!

There is a highway ROW not far from me that has wild asparagus growing along the ditches for nearly six miles. This thread reminds me that its about time to go check on this. Most people don't know what it is and just think I'm out there collecting beer cans. :D

I have one fence row that has about 3 different bunches growing wild. It doesn't get as thick a stem on it as the plants in the garden, and seems to be more tender. I have to check it everyday to get any, because either the deer or the cows one will wipe it out after it gets over 4 or 5 inches tall.

I have several spots around the farm where it grows, and started a row at the house a few years ago that should be good to pick this year. It's so much different than even "fresh" store bought. I was in my mid twenties before I knew there was canned asparagus, we always had it at home. The canned stuff is horrible.

Latest posts