Artificial Insemination Graph

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I set two cows up on the 7 day GnRH, CIDR, and Lutalyse protocol last week. Both cows displayed estrus behavior yesterday. I saw both cows in standing estrus at 11 AM on Monday morning ( yesterday).

Based on getting the best conception probabilities, I bred them 10 hours after the onset of Standing Estrus. That was at 9 PM yesterday (Monday). I decided to compose a conception chart to demonstrate that the ovum will be present at the same time as there are viable spermatazoa in the uterus. Here is the Chart. As you can see, the period of viable spermatozoa overlaps the viable ovum. The graph should show Monday and Tuesday. Sorry for the error.

t4wtic.jpg

We breed ours at 12. And it's been suggested that you can go to 18 by our embryologist. We tried the 18 when flushing our last donor.

She had the best yet when it came to number of embryos. But that was only one instance.

I feel when syncing and heat detecting, shooting for anything after 12, you may miss the opportunity. I say that because most (like ourselves) just check them periodically through out the day. Maybe 2-3 times.

However, wouldn't it be better to breed closer to ovulation?

NEFarmwife":1ubg49hx said:
We breed ours at 12. And it's been suggested that you can go to 18 by our embryologist. We tried the 18 when flushing our last donor.

She had the best yet when it came to number of embryos. But that was only one instance.

I feel when syncing and heat detecting, shooting for anything after 12, you may miss the opportunity. I say that because most (like ourselves) just check them periodically through out the day. Maybe 2-3 times.

However, wouldn't it be better to breed closer to ovulation?

Thank you for commenting. Your feedback is consistent with my experience.

I could have bred later but I am getting old. Lol. Yes. You can breed closer to ovulation. Just be sure you allow the time it takes for spermatozoa to go through "capacitation". I have charted my AI over the last 2 years. I have bred long and short. Both have stuck. Remember this: the limiting factor is the ovum. It is only viable for 6 to 12 hours. If the spermatozoa and ovum do not "rondavo" when both are viable, you will not get a conception.

I tend to favor short end breeding. Recent studies suggest spermatozoa have more than a 24 hour viability. BTW: I have bred some only 4 hours after first observed "Standing Estrus" and they stuck. My conception rate is 80 % across the board.

So does a viable ovum occur, the majority of the time, exactly 24hrs after standing heat detection?

efj1815":1w4y3fly said:
So does a viable ovum occur, the majority of the time, exactly 24hrs after standing heat detection?

The "act" of ovulation is the rupture of an ovarian follicle and the release of an ovum - singular versus ova plural. The data suggests it occurs 28 plus or minus 4 hours from the ONSET of standing estrus. So the range is 24 to 32 hours which is why I used an 8 hour line to represent ovulation. So it is not precise.

Here is a typical heat, the green bars represent the actual heat and the green line is rumination. We use a lot of sexed semen and our best AI results have happened when the cycle is nearly over. This data is from a biometric collar we have on our Registered Angus cows and heifers.

*************":3o3bjlt9 said:
Here is a typical heat, the green bars represent the actual heat and the green line is rumination. We use a lot of sexed semen and our best AI results have happened when the cycle is nearly over. This data is from a biometric collar we have on our Registered Angus cows and heifers.

what do the numbers on the side represent?

*************":3qeft1y5 said:

Describe the biometric collar. Btw: I am only 20 minutes from Flemingsburg. Great to have you here.

*************":iyirfwsb said:
What collars system are you using?

We have the SCR system for dairy heifers. It simply does not work on beef heifers.

We also have DairyMaster's Select Detect (Moo Monitor) on our dairy cows.

Timing on dairy cows last 12 months is:
AI at 2 hours or less 38% (16 breedings)
2-12 hours 42% (140 breedings)
over 12 hours 47% (116 breedings)

5% is not enough for me to wait and breed a cow the next morning. We milk at 330 am and pm. Breeding group is first also.

I have not preg checked heifers in quite some time but greater than 12 hours is twice as good with only 34 breedings that have been checked

When I was attending UK's AI class they showed us a new ear tag that was being marketed through select sires. The tags ran a little over $50/piece if I remember correctly.

The instructor was able to pull up every cow they had on his cell or laptop. The tag would give him the body temp of every cow and also showed its location and movements. He was able to predict estrous and calving from trends in rumination.

Once he pulled it up on a graph trend it was really easy to tell when the cows were cycling. Also could see change in rumination 12-16hrs out from calving.

If my internet didn't suck I'd buy buy them in a heartbeat. The ability to treat a cow with a fever early or save one calf would pay for the tags. Our cows tend to hit the woods when they calve and can be a pain to find.

That's strange. The description we received on how it works I really don't understand what would be different about a heifer.

kentuckyguy":434ahrme said:
That's strange. The description we received on how it works I really don't understand what would be different about a heifer.
Alot when it comes to heat detection on heifers. That's why SCR system (even a higher up has beef cows at company told me not to use it) does not work on beef heifers. Believe me I thought about buying extra collars and base stations to rent out. Didn't pan out.........

*************":1de59cws said:
We use Moo Monitor from Dairymaster, it's highly accurate and effective.
No kidding, I will have to ask Dairy Master guys about it then. Pretty much what Select Detect is.

Ron, I think the biggest thing is knowing exactly when the heat started. My observations when I synch them is that they mainly are active in the mornings and again in the afternoon. This is in our spring so daytime temps are starting to get up there. I see them first up in the morning and will get a couple that have obviously been at it a few hours and then there may be one that is starting to join in by the time I have finished my jobs. Those that have been shagging for a while I tend to get an itchy trigger finger on. The ones I know when it started I will more comfortably hang off until the pm.
I am interested in those monitors though.
Ken

When we set up our system we were told afterwards that we were the only beef operation in the U.S. to use Moo Monitor. Our percentage of settled cows and heifers jumped quickly with the system. I've had cows where I could closely observe them with the collar on, and it's nearly spot on when the heat begins when you compare the visual observation with the alert on the iPhone app or desktop. Moo Monitor has been a great tool when it comes to using sexed semen. We have had at least 10 SAV Raindance pregnancies with 2 of the Raindance calves on the ground right now. One other excellent feature of the system is that you can be alerted when a cow is sick or injured thus potentially saving an animal. The system is also scalable to as many cows or heifers you want to collar.

wbvs58":3rpcxr2r said:
Ron, I think the biggest thing is knowing exactly when the heat started. My observations when I synch them is that they mainly are active in the mornings and again in the afternoon. This is in our spring so daytime temps are starting to get up there. I see them first up in the morning and will get a couple that have obviously been at it a few hours and then there may be one that is starting to join in by the time I have finished my jobs. Those that have been shagging for a while I tend to get an itchy trigger finger on. The ones I know when it started I will more comfortably hang off until the pm.
I am interested in those monitors though.
Ken

Ken. That is important to remember. I do most of my breeding on natural heats. I never truly can pinpoint the exact moment when estrus begun. Thus, some of the cows that I thought I was breeding on the short side might not have been. The monitors which certainly help.

Latest posts