Arthritis in cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

32Paws

Reaction score
I have a 13 year old heifer that has arthritis what can I give her to help?

About 10 or 12 regular size. You can get a tub of bolous at ts or a vet supply. Just mix them in their feed.

I buy the boluses made for cattle. Dissolve them in some water and mix with a little sweet feed. The cow size boluses are usually 2-4 per day.
Long term aspirin is not with out side effects though. I only do 7 days or so for an injury. You can talk to a vet about using Bute. It may be safer for long term use.

Lucky_P":3mrsmk7c said:
13 year old HEIFER?
I'd skip the drugs and put some wheels under her.
Even if the heifer was a cow, I'd still vote for wheels, what do you hope to achieve with a 13 year old with arthritis?

one of my best cows got arthritis at 16, nothing helped much, I gave her all sorts of stuff.. aspirin, banamine, another drug for horses (not for food animals), and devils claw root.
In the end she just got a bucket of grain a day, and she'd forget all about her arthritis and bad teeth when she saw it.. raised the best heifer calf of the herd that year, then I put her down in the fall

KNERSIE":2i7wqc4a said:
Lucky_P":2i7wqc4a said:
13 year old HEIFER?
I'd skip the drugs and put some wheels under her.
Even if the heifer was a cow, I'd still vote for wheels, what do you hope to achieve with a 13 year old with arthritis?
People do keep cows as pets......they are as smart as a dog. Some of you may have a problem with that, but to each their own. I personally have one cow that will get anything she needs to stay comfortable, and will die or be put down here on the farm.

Latest posts