Armyworms

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Its that time of year again. My fields are covered up in them. Too wet to spray with a tractor so I'll be hitting them from the air tomorrow morning assuming its not raining.

Jogeephus":2lmtv8tl said:
Its that time of year again. My fields are covered up in them. Too wet to spray with a tractor so I'll be hitting them from the air tomorrow morning assuming its not raining.

I've been checking daily. Hopefully they hold off a few days here.

Do they prefer the Bermuda grasses on the east coast? I have never seen them march on Bahia here, they will eat crab grass if the bermudas are gone.

Caustic Burno":17jmyq7e said:
Do they prefer the Bermuda grasses on the east coast? I have never seen them march on Bahia here, they will eat crab grass if the bermudas are gone.

They do seem to prefer bermuda here but I've seen them in bahia once but they didn't seem to do much damage and may have just been trying to get to bermuda field next door.

It just seems a bit early for them but this grass should have been cut a couple weeks ago.

Jogeephus":3c8ipbsx said:
Caustic Burno":3c8ipbsx said:

They do seem to prefer bermuda here but I've seen them in bahia once but they didn't seem to do much damage and may have just been trying to get to bermuda field next door.

It just seems a bit early for them but this grass should have been cut a couple weeks ago.
I'm thinking if I do have any they drowned the last few days . I'm starting to see animals pair up.

With as much rain as we have had since Sunday , I was curious if it had any bearing on them because previous history the worst infestations have been in dry weather . this is what I have found so far.

"Prolonged wet weather can be hard on the armyworm larvae by creating conditions whereby a fungus knocks down the population. They do not like sun and heat, so they respond to those conditions by crawling under trash on the ground during the day and coming out at night to eat. (If you are scouting for armyworms in a field in the heat of the day, for example, look at the base of the plant and meticuously uncover the trash in the row.) Cool weather is what they like."

http://extension.missouri.edu/webster/armyworms.aspx

With all the rain we've had I figured they would have drowned and never even thought to look. Besides, it seems a little early for worms. Also, I didn't see any cowbirds but I think they were out there only the grass was so tall you couldn't see them because yesterday I jumped a flock of them in the field and it looked like they came out of the ground. Some of my grass is crotch deep.

Jogeephus":14hha12s said:
With all the rain we've had I figured they would have drowned and never even thought to look. Besides, it seems a little early for worms. Also, I didn't see any cowbirds but I think they were out there only the grass was so tall you couldn't see them because yesterday I jumped a flock of them in the field and it looked like they came out of the ground. Some of my grass is crotch deep.

I saw cowbirds last week and went to investigate , all I found was a healthy crop of grasshoppers in the bermuda . I plan to check the crabgrass field this afternoon. It is early for them by a few weeks.

M-5":18jw5eb7 said:
Jogeephus":18jw5eb7 said:

I saw cowbirds last week and went to investigate , all I found was a healthy crop of grasshoppers in the bermuda . I plan to check the crabgrass field this afternoon. It is early for them by a few weeks.

IMO, the best way to check for them is to ride through your field at night and watch for the moths. Assuming you don't rut up your field and get stuck like I will now. Calling for more rain today. And tomorrow.

Jogeephus":3n8pp4zq said:
M-5":3n8pp4zq said:
Jogeephus":3n8pp4zq said:

IMO, the best way to check for them is to ride through your field at night and watch for the moths. Assuming you don't rut up your field and get stuck like I will now. Calling for more rain today. And tomorrow.

still coming down here , I estimate we are at 7" since Sunday .

It started raining about 20 minutes ago. I suspect we've had two inches in that twenty minutes. Its coming down in buckets. I sprayed Mustang and Dimlin this morning - after it quit raining - and I hope the worms are sick and laying in the water and too weak to swim. That's my dream of course. In my world though the rain has washed everything away and the worms will be back in force tomorrow but all the pesticide will wash downstream and kill all the fish in a lawyer's pond. :bang:

Jogeephus":3hc0kteu said:
It started raining about 20 minutes ago. I suspect we've had two inches in that twenty minutes. Its coming down in buckets. I sprayed Mustang and Dimlin this morning - after it quit raining - and I hope the worms are sick and laying in the water and too weak to swim. That's my dream of course. In my world though the rain has washed everything away and the worms will be back in force tomorrow but all the pesticide will wash downstream and kill all the fish in a lawyer's pond. :bang:

You should be fine Jogeephus. May lose the residual of the Dimlin but the Mustang should have put the hurt on them almost instantly.

Latest posts