Armyworms in new grass

Help Support CattleToday:

MoDave

Reaction score
Guys
I had a bottom field that we mainly cut for hay and lightly pasture in the winter. After this summer drought I thought it would be a good time to plow it up, lime it, fertilize it and reseed it. I seeded it in a mixture of Orchard grass and Timothy along with red and white clover, I also put about 25lbs to the acre of wheat for maybe a little winter pasture. It came up and was looking great. Well then the army worms came and now it is no more. My neighbor told me that he has had that happen twice and in a few days it came back thicker than before. Has anybody else had this happen? I don't know if I should notill now. Wait until spring and notill, or just do nothing.

Suggestions?

Not that I don't believe him. Just that I have never had any problems with army worms and right now it looks like bare ground. Hard to belive that it can come back. I spent over $200 and acre trying to make sure that I had all my bases covered and I never dreamed that I would have armyworms this time of year. As you go up the creek there is lots of new grass growing, mostly rye. those guys have a lot more to lose than I do.
I guess I like to worry. I thought some of you guys might have had some exprerience with this.

your in a wait an see mode right now.they might not of killed it completely.but if they did youll have to replant it.

ga.prime":1zotd5lj said:
I'd wait and see if it comes back from the roots.

I agree. Waiting a little while won't cost anything. If it's a lost cause you could still plan on running some winter grass and then followup with the same recipe in the Spring.