Armyworms

Help Support CattleToday:

Seen a few moths and a bunch of grasshoppers today in my hay field. With my luck they will move in while I'am gone fishing. Planing on cutting some hay when I get back in a few weeks. I was reading about bermudagrass stem maggots in the GA Cattleman, and they sound like bad news to me.

James T":3s14p495 said:
Jogee, call in the Cowbirds!

They are my early defense warning system. They are marvelous indicators whether or not you have worms and keeps me from having to scratch around. I busted their buffet the other day though so they went somewhere else when all their food was wiggling on the ground in agony. The sight of that gives me a warm feeling inside.

dun":2x7rlwxx said:
At least you have something the worms can eat!

Yes, I've been blessed this year. Sure has been a nice change. If I had my choice I'd take the worms over the drought any day of the week but I gotta whine a little else I wouldn't be happy.

Just checked the hay fields this morning and very few if any cowbirds to be seen. Did see some picking over the bahia but its so rank now that I'm guessing its crickets and not worms.

I've had flocks of cowbirds all week. Looks like they are chowing down on the grasshoppers which I am good with!

Jogeephus":ycqdnqpf said:
dun":ycqdnqpf said:
At least you have something the worms can eat!

Yes, I've been blessed this year. Sure has been a nice change. If I had my choice I'd take the worms over the drought any day of the week but I gotta whine a little else I wouldn't be happy.

Just checked the hay fields this morning and very few if any cowbirds to be seen. Did see some picking over the bahia but its so rank now that I'm guessing its crickets and not worms.

We haven't had any worms this year but I have never seen so many crickets in my life.

Just went out and checked my sudangrass which was 6' tall and was planning on cutting tomorrow anyway. Went out to find army worms ate 4 acres down to nothing in the past 5 days. I just went out and measured the field on sunday to see how tall it was. WTF. My neighbor who does around 500 acres of hay said definitely cut all 16 acres tomorrow otherwise they will leave me with nothing. He said dont bother spraying cause they are on a few year cycle. Is that true that they wont be back in the second cutting?

shadyhollownj":39vsqudf said:
Just went out and checked my sudangrass which was 6' tall cause I'm cutting tomorrow. be nice army worms ate 4 acres down to nothing in the past 5 days. I just went out and measured the field on sunday to see how tall it was. WTF. My neighbor who does around 500 acres of hay said definitely cut all 16 acres tomorrow otherwise they will leave me with nothing. He said dont bother spraying cause they are on a few year cycle. Is that true that they wont be back in the second cutting?
When I find them I cut my hay . Then if they are still there in a week I spray with 7 it last about 3 weeks . Most will leave or die in the 95 degree sun . I had them 3 times year before last . They were so bad they were eating the San Augustine and Bahia out of the yard .

Jogeephus":24mvbg03 said:
That's just what we need. Another pest!

I read last week there is yet another new one to the US.
Elm Seed Beetles have been found for the first time in the US--Idaho I think.
Look like cockroaches, with a diamond pattern, and stink like hades when squashed. (who the heck squshes a bug and then leans down and smells of it?) Anyone finding one is asked to put it in a ziplock bag (alive) and mail it to USDA, with the location, date found etc on the bag.
(IIRC, they came from Europe)

How come we only have bugs that specifically eat good things? Pine tree beetles--army worms--termites--Elm seed beetles.

Lord--here are all the mesquite bugs, goat weed bugs and tallow tree bugs?

greybeard":kvfrybvn said:
Jogeephus":kvfrybvn said:
That's just what we need. Another pest!

I read last week there is yet another new one to the US.
Elm Seed Beetles have been found for the first time in the US--Idaho I think.
Look like cockroaches, with a diamond pattern, and stink like hades when squashed. (who the heck squshes a bug and then leans down and smells of it?) Anyone finding one is asked to put it in a ziplock bag (alive) and mail it to USDA, with the location, date found etc on the bag.
(IIRC, they came from Europe)

How come we only have bugs that specifically eat good things? Pine tree beetles--army worms--termites--Elm seed beetles.

Lord--here are all the mesquite bugs, goat weed bugs and tallow tree bugs?

Are you sure it's not a potato bug (stink bug)?

shadyhollownj":3ubhrqsa said:
He said dont bother spraying cause they are on a few year cycle. Is that true that they wont be back in the second cutting?

I look for them whenever there is a full moon from July on.

Send us some armyworms over here --they do a great job of taking that awful Bermuda grass out of the perennial peanuts

Latest posts