Army worms

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
Guess what I'm doing this evening as soon as I get home from work? Spraying for army worms. :mad:
We haven't had them in years ( probably 10 years) but this year is making up for it fast.

Congratulations, :???: If you have worms you must have some green grass for them to chow on. I think mine starved. :( Getting awfull dry again and been pretty warm also. Been working on some fence, have been able to drill some post holes but I have to pour a half gallon of water in the hole so I can clean it out. This lack of rain is really getting old.

Good luck battling the army worms.

Texas Gal you beat me on this, I was just going to start a thread on army worms when I saw yours.
I got them as well. Looks like only 5 acres affected so far, but they are on the move. I count a few square feet and had like 4 to 6 per square foot. It sure made the grass brown, looked like someone had come in a sprayed it and killed the grass and mowed it with a lawn mower that had a dull blade, sure not a pretty site. Been many years since we had them.

Just out of curiousity but does it seem that they move in from any specific area into your field? I ask this cause I have one field that always gets them and they always seem to move in from the area where there is a huge pecan tree. Just curious.

Jogeephus":ibbk6sgy said:
Just out of curiousity but does it seem that they move in from any specific area into your field? I ask this cause I have one field that always gets them and they always seem to move in from the area where there is a huge pecan tree. Just curious.
Jo never thought about it before, but where mine have started this time is a area that has about 15 to 20 native pecan trees. Talked to a friend who farms row crops and he said he was seeing them in corn ground too.
One other thing we have noticed this year is allot more mice and rats as in the past. When I was cutting hay a few days ago, the hawks were having a field day, getting the ones I got or flushed out.

Reason I asked was a fella brought this to my attention a few years ago. He said they were more apt to come from the woods. Started watching and in one field, they always are the worst near the pecan trees. Don't know if they start there or not but damage is always worse there. Could be shade related. Don't know. I have another field that is surrounded by pines. They hit it from every direction and it is by far the worse field for worms. Another field with little to no trees near it hasn't been a problem at all. Makes you wonder.

Since armyworms generally feed at night or on overcast days, the shady areas probably get hit harder.

Friday night I finished spraying at 11:45. Of course, I had to work on the spray rig for a while before everything was working correctly. Why is every stinking time you go to use a piece of equipment something isn't working right? I haven't stayed up that late in a long time!

We had 1.7 inches of rain in the gauge this morning!!! Now maybe my ryegrass will germinate AND the armyworms won't be lined up at the buffet waiting on it.

Y'all have brought up an interesting question about fall armyworms. Why is it some years they are everywhere and other years like this one in Alabama I have not seen the first one?

alabama":zl2ieaho said:
Y'all have brought up an interesting question about fall armyworms. Why is it some years they are everywhere and other years like this one in Alabama I have not seen the first one?

I had them but not as bad as usual. Drought?

Latest posts