Army Worms are Marching in GA

Help Support CattleToday:

MrBilly

Reaction score
I'm about ready to bale army worms instead of hay. We've been fighting these critters for over six weeks and they are winning. Even despite using a combination spray which includes Sevin (1 qt/A) plus Imidin (2 oz/A) plus crop oil (1 qt/A) which we were told should hold them at bay for at least 28 days instead of the usual three days for Sevin alone, it didn't work. Ten days after spraying our coastal field the the trio of chemicals they are back. And for the first time in years we had them in most of our pastures also. I'm not the only one, most people here in middle GA are in the same boat. This gets pretty expensive. If we had some sunshine in site, we could bale and forget it, but we are probably ten days away from sunshine, so we try to save the fields for hay and spray.

Billy

Had a major outbreak and sprayed my hayfield last Friday with sevin. Sure hope they don't come back that quick. Haven't seen any in the pastures thankfully.

We have them bad in Alabama too. I used sevin until the COOP ran out then switched to Intrepid. They both work but only for about two weeks. We got some good rain over the weekend so I hope one more spraying and I can cut.
I had them bad last year in a field that was ready to cut so I cut insted of spraying. They ate it while it was drying. Never seen anything like it.

We had them bad too. Sevin has been doing the trick though. Didn't we have an extra full moon this year?

A couple of weeks ago, my son called and said that he had a bunch of worms in his front yard and wanted to know if I had anything to spray on them? I drove over to his house to have a look and drop off some Sevin and the garden hose sprayer. When I saw the worms, I saw that they were army worms. I can home and checked the pastures, sure enough they were getting started. Since the pump on my sprayer was broke, I called the Co-Op to come spray to save what grass I have since it is really dry here this year.

They came later that morning and sprayed 30 acres. They mixed up 600 gallons of water, 1 gallon of Mustang Max & 1 gallon of Top Kick (surfactant) and sprayed 20 gallon per acre. I was going to use the 80% Sevin but it had a 14 day withdrawl period for the cows. The Mustang Max didn't have a withdrawl period.

They are marching here in TN now. We pretty much lost a cutting of Bermudagrass over night. Sprayed with Sevin and they seem to be under control there but are eating anything else they can find. I even saw some on some Dalis grass today. I did use the opportunity to wick some Johnsongrass in the Bermuda fields. The bermudagrass was stripped so bad the tractor hardly left tracks. The stems would just spring back up. Maybe it will put out enough regrowth in the next two weeks to salvage a cutting.

I'm still spraying and on some fields the third time around. My co-op people tell me that there is no withdrawal for hay or grazing for Sevin. They also gave me a good website to read the labels on. This site allows you to put in specific information you are looking for rather than having to search through the label. Google CDMS and then click on Manufacturers - Labels CDMS Home Page.

They recommended I change to another kill agent that is much cheaper called Karote (a synthetic pyrethroid) and use it with Dimilin and Crop oil (with this crop oil is only 1 qt/100 gallons compared to 1 qt/acre with Sevin).

In the fields where I used Sevin, crop oil and Dimilin the worms are still gone, but where I used Sevin alone they came back. As I mentioned earlier, the Dimilin is an IGR and changes the residual which for Sevin is only three days to 28 because of the IGRs interrupting the life cycle of the critter. :banana:

Billy

I think you will like Intrepit better. It kills and acts as an Igr. No grazing restriction.

Latest posts