army worm strategy

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
They always show in small areas then spread rapidly as they march. You can spray today and another wave hits in a couple weeks.
I try to check every morning as much as I can by atv. Instead of spraying a entire pasture at once. Would it be a viable strategy to mount the boomless on the atv and just spray where and when they show

I just finished spraying 15ac. lost it all to the army worms. I checked this field last week and found 1 mature worm and 3 juveniles. I figured another 30 rolls of hay, not now. I'd spray the whole field myself.

I sprayed all pastures with carbaryl mixed with 2-4D and remedy. It was hot and dry but mixed it together anyway to kill what weeds it would.
Did a test mixture to check compatibility.
No reinfestation so far....keeping my fingers crossed!

callmefence":25i5agrr said:
They always show in small areas then spread rapidly as they march. You can spray today and another wave hits in a couple weeks.
I try to check every morning as much as I can by atv. Instead of spraying a entire pasture at once. Would it be a viable strategy to mount the boomless on the atv and just spray where and when they show

Plant Bahia problem solved

I know they ruin the hay crop, but do they kill the grass?

Mine seem to hit a spot and disappear.

Caustic Burno":250nefay said:
callmefence":250nefay said:

I saw army worms eating bahia today for the first time. Not nearly like on the bermuda but they were definitely eating bahia. This was on very well fertilized hay fields so that might of been part of it.

I made the decision to spray the entire field. I'm glad I did. I had been running and checking the edges. The worst damage was in the center and it's pretty bad.
I sprayed until well after dark. Tremendous amount of moths. It ain't over.
This is a very good stand of early planted oats.
If I hadn't had 10 gallons of carbaryl that had been sitting on the shelf for 2 years.
Probably would have just let it go and replanted.
Bahia does exist here. But I don't know of any well established stands. There's a pretty good bit of it along a ditch on one side of the affected field. I haven't checked it . They rarely seem to bother the blustems

True Grit Farms":15318lqs said:
Caustic Burno":15318lqs said:
callmefence":15318lqs said:

I saw army worms eating bahia today for the first time. Not nearly like on the bermuda but they were definitely eating bahia. This was on very well fertilized hay fields so that might of been part of it.

I don't doubt you for a minute, just never seen them touch it here.
Coastal and common is in grave danger

I don't doubt you for a minute, just never seen them touch it here.
Coastal and common is in grave danger

CB, this is my first time seeing army worms in bahia grass. The boss did the bucket test on our bahia grass and she has me spraying them. We had a terrible grass year because of a drought. But Tropical Storm Hermine blessed us with almost 4" of rain and the army worms have come alive.

TexasBred":mc8a7hvv said:
They're not touching the coastal bermuda on my place. Just eating the common bermuda.

I have noticed similar results here. It looks like the taller the grass and older the growth, the less they are interested in it. I have a pasture that I grazed and then mowed each half at different times, one with 3 weeks of regrowth, the other with 8 weeks.

Both are a mix of coastal and common, unfertilized. Armyworms eat every leaf out of the 3 week growth pasture but none of the 8 week. I can look down into the 8 week old grass and see them down there, but they are not eating any of it.

Next year at this time I'm going to try to manage for taller grass and postpone mowing behind the cattle grazing.

About a month ago i turned the cows in my front pasture and didn't have any reason to go back further, that I knew of. Two weeks ago I went back to a ten acre pasture that was mostly common Bermuda. Army worms had all but destroyed it, I sprayed with Karate and got some pretty good rains. The Bermuda is recovering pretty good, fescue still not looking so good. Why won't they eat pigweed and goat croton instead???
Karate is supposed to have residual coverage. Still keeping an eye out.
My father in law has a twenty that lays next to mine that is nothing but Bermuda and Johnson grass and they didn't touch it. Was like they started at my fence and went north :(

Caustic Burno":a7v9uuu5 said:
callmefence":a7v9uuu5 said:

Dang good info, CB. I always wondered why my Bahia field never has been hit by those little devils. We have sure seen a lot of the little white moths this season but so far, no army worms.

HDRider":aa5ov8z1 said:
I know they ruin the hay crop, but do they kill the grass?

Mine seem to hit a spot and disappear.

The worms I've seen eat the edges of the leaf but not the "stem" part of the leaf. They will decimate a hay field in just a few hours and I swear you can see the destruction as they eat. Grass will recover but it has no hay value left after they go through.

I've seen them in my bahia but they son't seem to strip it as bad as bermuda.

We have worms now which is odd since they normally cycle with the full moon so it looks like they are getting started early.

Latest posts