Arena Sour Heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

BrangusGirl

Reaction score
My heifer walks beautifully in the arena at my barn if she thinks that she's going out to pasture but if I close all gates and attempt to walk her around she will resist at first then walk a lap and completely lock up, I had lead her in circles in the arena and everything but she is stubborn and will walk a step then lock right back up. She is fully halter broken and will lead outside of the arena, when I first started leading seriously I spent and hour to two in the arena, could she be arena sour? Like I said she will walk willingly to anywhere else and will probably be fine at shows but if I want to practice showing her in my own arena she stops. Recently I've just let her walk around the arena by herself and she that she's fine and that the sand and arena are fun but I don't know if I should worry about this or just focus on making sure she walks at new places? Any tips or comments would help!

Welcome to Cattle Today. I would work on making sure that walking in strange places does not spook her. Change your routine. Walk and practice setting her up in different places. When you go back to the arena, put a few range cubes in your pocket and reward her for doing what you want.

sounds like she is not completely halter broke. she should move anytime someone pulls the rope. she needs to be hooked to something she cannot stop. mho

So I figured out what it was! The sand in the arena is too soft and full of bees and wasps that sting her so she's scared of that! She walks when I walk (without pulling), so it's not a matter of halter breaking an already broke heifer but finding out why. Ends up the pigs at my barn also will not walk in our arena but were taken to a local prospect show and walked without hesitation, thank you all for responding!