Are we getting close?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
I just read the post about the cows not pushing and now I'm freaked.
We've been watching this momma....she's bagged up real nice and her rear is hanging loose. I've seen her hold her tail out (not as in true labor) but she's not grouchy or "off". She can't go off by herself because we've got her in a corral attached to the barn. Does mucus signify anything? I did see the calf "move" last night...looked like a hoof in front of her hip bone (I pray its a FRONT hoof)....thanks for opinions.

Calmn down, breath, relax. :D
The posts concerning a cow not pushing does happen, but you are not aware of it until it does happen.
Sounds like your cow is just fine. Pretty neat watching the calves kicking on the cows sides, huh?
Now was the mucus clear like or even a little yellowish; or was it a brownish color?
Now if was the clear yellowish that is normal mucus. If it was brownish she may have lost her mucus plug. Have one we are watching now that lost her plug last night, but she is not in labor yet.

Sometimes the normal mucus will have a little brown on it from feces.
The one I saw looked like someone had slapped some grease on our cows tail, but I knew what it was.
Now if the cow starts straining and no poo or pee comes out there is a good chance she is in labor.
had a cow that would be bagged up for a couple weeks before she calved. Had another that would moo all the time just before she calved.
Now having cows calve is a learning experience, because each cow is different.

Wisteria Farms":2upoevnz said:
I just read the post about the cows not pushing and now I'm freaked.

No point in freaking - she will either help or she won't. Either way, it's up to you to help her deliver that calf if she has trouble. Freaking out is counter-productive, and it just wastes valuable time that could be better spent solving the problem.

I am one of the people who replied to the post you are talking about. If there is one thing I have learned it is to trust your gut. If your gut is REALLY telling you something is wrong go with it. For years I listened to everyone else in our area, had tons of problems because of it. (in our area there aren't a lot of true ranchers left)
So I now listen to what my gut is telling me and what I have learned (by making mistakes, which happen) and I have since prevented numerous problems. You are the one there witnessing what is happening. Listen to the people on this site, most of them really know there stuff and read and learn from others mistakes.
But you will make mistakes and you will learn hard lessons but in the end it will be better. Good luck and don't worry. Every delivery gets easier for you as you learn what to expect and what is out of the norm. If you have a good vet that will consult over the phone that is even better when you think you might have a prob. If it isn't urgant posting on this site does good things as well.
Trust your gut and don't panic or worry, it does nobody including your animals any good.
Take care and good luck on your calving
Double R

Update!!!!
On March 6 we had a beautiful little heifercalf. She weighed 94lbs (yes, momma and daddy are both big). If I could figure out how to add a picture I would...(since they've changed the site I'm a little disoriented!). Thanks to everyone who replied to my concerns...I shouldn't have said "freaked out"...I was just needlessly concerned...as it turned out the cow handled things like an old pro and is letting us socialize with the calf. I'm going to be posting a question about extra teats...if anyone cares to comment. Thanks!
Delights_08_Heifer_at_1_Week_Old.jpg

Wisteria Farms":3on1ac3z said:
Update!!!!
On March 6 we had a beautiful little heifercalf. She weighed 94lbs (yes, momma and daddy are both big). If I could figure out how to add a picture I would...(since they've changed the site I'm a little disoriented!). Thanks to everyone who replied to my concerns...I shouldn't have said "freaked out"...I was just needlessly concerned...as it turned out the cow handled things like an old pro and is letting us socialize with the calf. I'm going to be posting a question about extra teats...if anyone cares to comment. Thanks!

Well let me be the first to say congrats!!! Well done. A bit bigger than I personally would want but it sounds like it is healthy and all is well.
Double R

Congratulations!! Upload your pictures onto ranchers.net or photobucket. Apparently the Cattle Today photo gallery is undergoing some problems.
Glad to hear about the safe delivery and a heifer! WooHoo!

Congrats! Cant wait to see her!

Regarding extra teats . . . I'm assuming the calf has more than four? Its fine, happens all the time. If it bothers you, there are several options for removal of the supernumery teats. Get the vet to come out and surgically remove them, put a green ring on them or get the scissors/scalpel out while the calf is small. But really, they are not an issue and wont interfere with the future milking ability of the heifer.

Keren,

Yes, she has 1 extra (momma has a total of 6). This calf had a little trouble in that the one she kept trying to suckle was one that was nonfunctional... I was worried she was going to give up trying because nothing was coming out! Eventually she figured out "the goods" were in the other ones. My question is... as far as quality of the cow and subsequent heifers, is this considered a default? I thought the goal was a really nice semetrical udder? (actually this should be a new post...) but thanks for your replies.

I like to remove the extras, but it's mostly personal preference. They look nicer with four. Also, most everything I raise here goes to the dairies, and they prefer their purchased cows with 4 teats.

Note that it is NEVER a good idea to start taking the extras off a mature cow, especially a lactating one... and I'd wait until the heifer is older (over 4 months or so) before cutting off the extra, unless you're 100% positive now which is the extra and which are the functional ones.

Milkmaid,
Thank you...my thought would have been to do it while they're younger...my husband saw the extra so I'll wait and "play it by ear". I did make a seperate post on this. Thanks again.

Wisteria Farms":1tmkxl0z said:
Update!!!!
Delights_08_Heifer_at_1_Week_Old.jpg

Nice heifer! Congratulations!

Latest posts