Are prices going down

Help Support CattleToday:

tmaygspeara

Reaction score
yesterday i sold some cattle at the sale auction in mississippi. I took five 600-800 pound heifers which were commerical x black angus. all were all black and looked real good. I was very upset to see that i only recieved $.30 per pound for each cow. After the auction everyone was outside complaining how they felt they were cheated out of their cattle. I have nevered recieved 30 cents per pound for a cow and i was very confused. Was it just a bad time of year to be selling or is they some other factor going on in the beef industry?

tmaygspeara":2v5x3iuf said:
yesterday i sold some cattle at the sale auction in mississippi. I took five 600-800 pound heifers which were commerical x black angus. all were all black and looked real good. I was very upset to see that i only recieved $.30 per pound for each cow. After the auction everyone was outside complaining how they felt they were cheated out of their cattle. I have nevered recieved 30 cents per pound for a cow and i was very confused. Was it just a bad time of year to be selling or is they some other factor going on in the beef industry?
If you've never gotten .30 a pound for Cattle, you aint been in the game for long.October and November usually see a decline in prices.

the only time i have gotten 30 cents was for a cow with a broken leg. I nevered sold cattle around this time, these were 5 heifers who kept sticking their heads under and tearing up my fences so i had to get rid of them.

That sounds VERY low to me.. if they are decent heifers I would think they should bring at least .80. Did anyone else sell heifers in that weight range? What did they bring?

Below is a cut and past from the auction report Nov 1st in San Angelo Tx.

Feeder Heifers:
Medium and Large 1 set 303 lbs 135.00; set 410 lbs 120.00.
Medium and Large 1-2 300-400 lbs 110.00-118.00; 400-500 lbs 100.00-
106.00; 500-700 lbs 92.00-101.00; 700-800 lbs 87.50-91.50.
Medium and Large 2 300-400 lbs 100.00-110.00; 400-500 lbs 90.00-
100.00; 500-700 lbs 84.00-92.00; 700-850 lbs 83.00-87.00.

I would start shopping around for a different auction barn.

Walt

yes thats the point. it seemed like anything over 800 lbs was bringing 30-45 cents no matter what color. i also sold a 420lbs black bull calf and he bough $1.18 a pound. Everyone after the auction stayed around complaining about the prices but i just figured it was the time of year. also a buddy of mine took his cattle 25 black 1000 pound heifers and he got ripped off for 30 cents a pound. $300 for each of his heifers, if i knew thats all he would have got i would have offered him $325 each for is load

usually when i sell around march-april i never get under $1.00 a pound

tmaygspeara":29ws0mbr said:
the only time i have gotten 30 cents was for a cow with a broken leg. I nevered sold cattle around this time, these were 5 heifers who kept sticking their heads under and tearing up my fences so i had to get rid of them.[/quote}

When was that and how did you get her to sale barn?

FYI all livestock sales are down and just because prices are printed on their web sites or newspapers unless you were there and saw it for yourselves IDMS.

And after speaking to a very good friend of mine who is a Vet as well as very active in the beef industry here and abroad the bull market is going to hit rock bottom this spring.So that is good news for those starting out.

But why would you want to get into this industry if it is going to sh*t.

hillsdown":1wa89b4x said:
tmaygspeara":1wa89b4x said:
the only time i have gotten 30 cents was for a cow with a broken leg. I nevered sold cattle around this time, these were 5 heifers who kept sticking their heads under and tearing up my fences so i had to get rid of them.[/quote}

When was that and how did you get her to sale barn?

FYI all livestock sales are down and just because prices are printed on their web sites or newspapers unless you were there and saw it for yourselves IDMS.

And after speaking to a very good friend of mine who is a Vet as well as very active in the beef industry here and abroad the bull market is going to hit rock bottom this spring.So that is good news for those starting out.

But why would you want to get into this industry if it is going to sh*t.

well her leg wasnt actually broken but the hoof of her leg was gone after she got attacked by some wild dogs. this was about a year ago when i sold her. she was about 8 years old and i kept her about 3 year with the broken legs because she was still have big calves. but as she got older she couldnt keep up with the heard. she walk pretty good considering her leg was broken and the

is there any particular reason the industry will het rock bottm in spring

Well there are many circumstances but I think the main thing is that packers do not care about testing animals so they would rather get cheap beef from foreign countries like Brazil instead of paying us for our product.

The reasoning for the bull market going to crap is because seed stock producers could usually rely on getting top dollar for their good bulls but now it does not make sense to pay 5-10 or even 2 thousand for a bull when a producer can only make 5-10% on their calves.If they are lucky.

I hear you should buy them cheap like that and hold on to them till April. Just like the stock market.....buy low and sell high if they are like that. Could you have said NO to the sale amount by chance?

Crowderfarms":zljybpk8 said:
tmaygspeara":zljybpk8 said:
If you've never gotten .30 a pound for Cattle, you aint been in the game for long.October and November usually see a decline in prices.

OhioRiver":2tmkfn92 said:
I hear you should buy them cheap like that and hold on to them till April. Just like the stock market.....buy low and sell high if they are like that. Could you have said NO to the sale amount by chance?

Crowderfarms":2tmkfn92 said:
tmaygspeara":2tmkfn92 said:

The problem with this theory is everybody dumps their cows causing prices to plummet and then those who hang on to them all dump them again at the same time causing the price to plummet.

So NO the producers need to take control of the markets and not the other way around.

We're starting to see the seasonal decline...sold some heifers on Monday that were $25/cw lower than the weeks past.
I got there late and waited in line for two hours to unload and twelve folks were lined up behind me. When my cows sold only the order buyers were in the gallery and we saw the prices go down.
Will be interesting to see how low they will go in December...we usually pick up a few then.
Just my two bits worth...asked for or not ....Dmc

if this is true, you got ripped off. you should have no-saled them.

I cant even begin to imagine how you could have gotten 30 cents per pound for those calves. If they were healthy and black at 600-800 lbs they are 85-1.00 per pound. 1000 pound heifers at 30 is beyond comprehension, also. Even old 1000 lb slaughter cows are 40-50 cents. Something doesnt make sense in this story

stocky":3jd0ghic said:
I cant even begin to imagine how you could have gotten 30 cents per pound for those calves. If they were healthy and black at 600-800 lbs they are 85-1.00 per pound. 1000 pound heifers at 30 is beyond comprehension, also. Even old 1000 lb slaughter cows are 40-50 cents. Something doesnt make sense in this story
I agree ... something just not right. Even though its the typical "down" season, 600-800 lb heifers should not bring .30 / lb.
IF thats the case, I will buy a truckload of them. Only thing around here that brings that are old boners, or breakers.

stocky":3l992h0h said:
I agree ... something just not right. Even though its the typical "down" season, 600-800 lb heifers should not bring .30 / lb.
IF thats the case, I will buy a truckload of them. Only thing around here that brings that are old boners, or breakers.

Prices are down, but not to .30 per pound.......

500 lb was going at 1.20 last month. Monday of this week, the same 500 lb. was at .70.

Time to sit back and hold on to them.

tmaygspeara":31s4zc6z said:
yesterday i sold some cattle at the sale auction in mississippi. I took five 600-800 pound heifers which were commerical x black angus. all were all black and looked real good. I was very upset to see that i only recieved $.30 per pound for each cow.

Even if they are angus blood, for 30 cents a pound I'd buy a couple hundred.

I still can't justify spending the nickels for eared cows and heifers here locally. They are still high. I have all kinds of hay and I am hoping to pick up many when the prices drop.

I had four calves that were born late in the calving season and at the time were a little to small to sale with the group. I sold a 6 1/2 month old Black calf that weight 660lbs brought .80 cents a pound. The others were 450-500 brought 1.04-1.06. I just the wrong time to be selling. A older gentalman refered to this time of year as Ham and Turkey season.

Latest posts