Are Hybrid grasses safe??

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I was introduced to two new kinds of grass that were suggested to try out on our farm. They are both hybrids One is called Mavuno grass which during the dry season produces around 14% protein and if it rains plenty between 17%-21%. The links are in English.

The other Grass is called Cayman also a hybrid. Produces around 17% protein and also is resistant to areas that tend to pool up with water for a few weeks at a time.

My question is.. are they safe?? has anyone heard of any cons?? I'm working on rotational grazing which just started back in September and the cattle are in the Northwest part of Guatemala. Also, can these grasses produce prussic acid poisoning... is this something produced only with sorghum and sudangrass, or do all grasses produce prussic acid but at different levels?? I'm still searching the web for a clear answer and haven't found one yet.

Thank you

I'd talk to the seed supplier and they should know.. I haven't heard of them though
Iam actually expecting a call soon. I was curious if it's a "thing" here in the states and is it safe. Are there any grasses here available that are genetically modified or hybrid??

Latest posts