Are Heifers to small?

Help Support CattleToday:

They can get "stocked up" from being hauled. We never hauled horses for more than a few hours without walking them. But then those were race horses and it mattered if they had leg problems

TXMike":filtacnm said:
Man I was watching the bull and his back legs seemed a little stiff walking around. I checked his gait before I loaded him up and he was fine. He was in the trailer for about 6 hours and about 200 miles. He stood up the whole time. I did have one time when a log truck pulled out in front of me when I think he may have fell over. Could he just be stiff from the drive here?

I guess, just to be neighborly, I can run over to the prairie and bring him back to my place an watch him walk around here for a couple of months if ya like. Just to check him out and make sure he's ok...

To me, the heifers do look small in the pictures. They are 19 months old already, so will not grow much more. But the measurements you gave are not small, so this is a case where pictures do not show the true story! In any case, "miniature" cattle have calves too! Just because they look small does not mean they can not have a calf. You are doing fine by looking for a calving ease bull.

greybeard":3qjxz117 said:
TXMike":3qjxz117 said:
Man I was watching the bull and his back legs seemed a little stiff walking around. I checked his gait before I loaded him up and he was fine. He was in the trailer for about 6 hours and about 200 miles. He stood up the whole time. I did have one time when a log truck pulled out in front of me when I think he may have fell over. Could he just be stiff from the drive here?

I guess, just to be neighborly, I can run over to the prairie and bring him back to my place an watch him walk around here for a couple of months if ya like. Just to check him out and make sure he's ok...

I was hoping youd chime in. Your more than welcome to if you need to use him. If you wanna be neighborly you'll have to come over and drink a beer or a glass of tea one day.

Given their measured height and the looks of their condition they should be good sized cows.

I want to know what you built that fence for, it's got to be at least 8 foot high!

Nite Hawk":1vqu5pnn said:
Make sure when you get a low birth weight bull that his calve have good grow-ability after birth or you will have minuture cattle at adult hood

Great advice... too many "calving ease" bulls for a long time didn't make squat for growers.
I think your heifers look fine.
We have a 2nd calf cow that's super petite (800-900 if I had to guess)
And her 2nd calf, from a solid Simmental bull is a really nice calf.
And I'll be wiling to bet that you that your heifers will turn out a lot bigger.

What are you thinking of breeding them with?
AI or bull?

3waycross":2fdop9gr said:
Isomade":2fdop9gr said:
Taurus":2fdop9gr said:
Does anyone in here actually know what is their actual size? It's hard to tell the actual size of the cows in the picture.
Judging from the height of the grass, in conjunction with the size of the panel squares and the position of the sun in the pics I would guess them to be 51-53 inches at the hip.

Did you use the pythagerian theorum to arrive at that number?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Chris H":26ggyze3 said:
Given their measured height and the looks of their condition they should be good sized cows.

I want to know what you built that fence for, it's got to be at least 8 foot high!

Man that's the cow catcher 9,000! Haha. I had a wild cow I wanted to catch but from a dead stop shell jump over a 5 ft fence so I figure if I made this one taller she wouldn't try it. But now I can't get her to go inside the pens.....

Mike--Did that cow suddenly just show up at your place a couple years ago--aug or sept 2011? I think I know her. Meaner than hades when she has a calf--Red hide, one horn up, one down and broke off? . Went to load her and 5 more for my sister one day and she jumped clear over the cowpen, over a 5 strand, tore thru sister's yard like a banshee, crossed the E. Fork and was headed SE at a full run thru the forest last time we saw her.
I just looked at sis and said 'good riddance'. Meanest cow I ever been around.

greybeard":1w47nq8u said:
Mike--Did that cow suddenly just show up at your place a couple years ago--aug or sept 2011? I think I know her. Meaner than hades when she has a calf--Red hide, one horn up, one down and broke off? . Went to load her and 5 more for my sister one day and she jumped clear over the cowpen, over a 5 strand, tore thru sister's yard like a banshee, crossed the E. Fork and was headed SE at a full run thru the forest last time we saw her.
I just looked at sis and said 'good riddance'. Meanest cow I ever been around.

Man there's no telling. She's got some scurs no horns. She's crazy as hell though, I think she's part whitetail. When I bought the place the previous owner said it was easier to just leave her on here than fix all the fences shed tear down trying to catch her.

Latest posts