Appalachian Mountain Farming (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz

Reaction score
Everyone has been posting such beautiful pictures of their operations and livestock. I thought I would take a camera today as I start moving my haying junk home.
This is part of the Widow Lady's place that lets me cut hay.
The old boys around here call them shirttail patches. It allows me to gather some winter hay while pasturing everything at home.
My type of operating is what is referred to as proverty pocket farming.

DSC00785.JPG

DSC00783.JPG

DSC00784.JPG

DSC00791.JPG

DSC00789.JPG

DSC00790.JPG

Heading Home.
DSC00788.JPG

fitz

fitz you make me homesick whenever I see that scenery. I wanted to go to Floyd this weekend but the wife had to work. Thanks for posting.

Never had the opportunity to travel that area Fitz...looks beautiful. would love to drive some of those small roads through the mountains

TexasBred":13egnnf4 said:
Never had the opportunity to travel that area Fitz...looks beautiful. would love to drive some of those small roads through the mountains

I have taken that route across the mountain to pick up bulls
from a breeder over the years. Decided going over this past week while it offers a beautiful view, it just wasn't worth the short cut anymore. Came home the long way on a two lane road.

fitz

You have a beautiful place fitz. I love the rolling hills and how the land lays.
Really nice hay barn too.
I love to look at the land when you can see the stripes where you have mowed. It is so neat.

kenny thomas":3dow2de8 said:
I was not far from you this weekend. I have been in Hillsville at the trade day and gun trade.
Kenny I wish I would have known it I would have come and seen ya I live about 20 mins from hillsville

trappersteve":3app68xo said:
kenny thomas":3app68xo said:
I was not far from you this weekend. I have been in Hillsville at the trade day and gun trade.
Kenny I wish I would have known it I would have come and seen ya I live about 20 mins from hillsville
After I got up there I thought of it and wondered if anyone from CT was there. There are so many people I almost bet someone was. I ate Friday night at Applebees in Galax so I was close.

kenny thomas":2n5qd7sa said:
I have been there. Thats the place with the trout pond isnt it?
No its about 5 or so miles of fee fishing area on the creek. If you went to galax you went right over it on 58 below harmons western store

Thats right, its the fee fishing I remember, They stock almost every week dont they. Years ago at least there was a concrete "pond" there that they kept them in it seems.
Oh yes Fitz, we have high jacked your thread big time.

kenny thomas":1impghc4 said:
Thats right, its the fee fishing I remember, They stock almost every week dont they. Years ago at least there was a concrete "pond" there that they kept them in it seems.
Oh yes Fitz, we have high jacked your thread big time.
Yea sorry fitz!
Yes kenny that's right they stock every day now I think. And yes the old holding tanks are still there

trappersteve":udfpqnhj said:
kenny thomas":udfpqnhj said:

I was up there too. This is the 5th year I have went. I beleive that if you cannot find it in Hillsville it has never been made.

Latest posts