Anything Else with the Calf Starter??

Help Support CattleToday:

gg4rebels

Reaction score
Do I need to offer anything else to my calves (currently 4 months and 2 months) besides calf starter and good quality hay this winter or now for that matter. Corn?? Minerals?? They will have grazing opportunities as well. The goal for the these is the freezer (maybe - if I can get over eating something I have bottle fed :( ) in a few months. Thanks, g

That depends on what is in your starter. Talk to an extension agent in your area to see what is recommended as far as protein, energy, and minerals. If the recommended amounts are present in your feed + hay, then that is all you need. I would suspect you will have to feed a little mineral.

gg4rebels":2qoy11bx said:
Do I need to offer anything else to my calves (currently 4 months and 2 months) besides calf starter and good quality hay this winter or now for that matter. Corn?? Minerals?? They will have grazing opportunities as well. The goal for the these is the freezer (maybe - if I can get over eating something I have bottle fed :( ) in a few months. Thanks, g

Just make sure you're buying a "high quality" calf starter. It will have adequate levels of corn and oats and the pellet in the complete mix will contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals. Once your calves get a little larger change to a grower/finisher type feed with more corn and less oats and make a little 12-12 mineral available free choice along with the good hay.

Latest posts