Anyone used Nutrena Show Edge Feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

RoppFamilyFarm

Reaction score
Has anyone used Nutrena Show Edge Feed & Supplements? Always used Honor Show Chow, but Nutrena Show Edge is $6 Cheaper per Bag! Just curious if you have and what you thought of it. Thanks!

Sorry, can't directly help you on that. We're fortunate to have a co-op nearby that still mixes feed, we get ours custom mixed.

Nutrena has been around a very long time, and has always had good products. I'd say for that kind of savings it ought to be worth a try.

Thanks DLD. It looks like a pretty good product, just always used Honor Show Chow, but like you said, for that kind of savings it is worth a try!

I always compare the labels, if the contents are similar and the nutritional value is close, you should be fine. Sometimes you can add supplements to get them closer and still save money.

RoppFamilyFarm":i48xbnp6 said:
Thanks DLD. It looks like a pretty good product, just always used Honor Show Chow, but like you said, for that kind of savings it is worth a try!
There's not a dime's worth of difference in most. The main thing is to start of with a calf with championship potential are you're wasting your money anyway.

We are using Sure Champ right now. $32.50 per 50 lbs. Feed 1 pound per day, per head, mixed in with regular feed. Paying $6.60 per 50 lbs for regular feed. So far they are developing nicely but time will tell. Since its difficult to predict genetic potential (if your starting a feed program early in the game) in conformation until you actually see how a good feeding regimen is working, we cull any that we agree are sub-par along the way.

Thought I'd revisit this since we actually are feeding some of this now. Our co-op quit mixing feed as of the first of the year. They are handling a mixed feed from LNC in bulk that I'm using for heifers and prospect steers (it's more of a grower ration), but for our market steers for Tulsa in October, I decided to go with a sacked show ration. I tried Purina, but they really didn't seem to care for it - I assumed because it was so diffferent than what they were used to. Even mixing it with our bulk ration, I couldn't get them to like it (and yes it was fresh, from at least 3 different shipments to our co-op). I happened to notice that Atwood's had the Nutrena, so I gave it a try. It looks very similar to the Purina so I expected the same kind of results, but the calves love it, and seem to be doing well on it (it's only been a couple of weeks). Not to mention that $6 per bag price advantage.

Latest posts