Anyone use these ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gotcha... I put them out cows licked the heck out of them for a while in the pasture at my house I will put the others out tomorrow in the other pastures.

I didn't pay attention to it either i will look tomorrow. Yea they have salt blocks plenty of grass and granular salt and mineral tubs and some fly blocks that are still out. :lol:

Co-op makes an Ulimate cattle mineral with for breeders that has 100 % selenium yeast at 30 ppm, 2600 ppm copper, Zn 5200 ppm, Vit E-660 IU/lb, Vit A- 225 IU. Ca-11-13%
The high copper is what makes blood vessels and tissue more pliable and not brittle.
That block does not have enough copper in it which is very important to cattle.
Did you see where they are using Animal Protein Products?
I think after they used up the blocks, I would purchase Farmer's Co-Cop mineral ending in 613 if you are looking for a breeding mineral.
Then I use a Crystalyx tub, which is a baked molasses with Magnesium for the fescue.

Co-op sells that same mineral that I am speaking of above in a high Mag mineral with the tag ending in 660, both are Ultimate Minerals, but they don't offer it. I guess I am the only one that has asked for it. It would be cheaper for me to get it instead of buying the extra tub.

The other minerals do not offer the selenium nor do they offer the high copper. One of the many things that selenium helps is to make the placenta thinner, and as the calf is being born, he can break free from it much easier.
If you are having trouble finding a mineral in your area, try Moorman. They used to make a good mineral.

Gotcha, I did not know that I will have to start paying attention to all of that and also check the other moorman product.

Sky actually it's a protein block with an elevated level of magnesium. Doesn't look bad but doubt it is cost effective. Thing that caught my eye first thing was "Animal Protein Products". Probably feather meal but still not the best sources of protein. A bit too much in the formulation and cattle won't touch them.

I am going to guess about 30 cows with go through 2 or 3 of those a week, that's why I don't see them being cost effective. That has been my experience anyway.

TexasBred":30xoc9wg said:
Sky actually it's a protein block with an elevated level of magnesium. Doesn't look bad but doubt it is cost effective. Thing that caught my eye first thing was "Animal Protein Products". Probably feather meal but still not the best sources of protein. A bit too much in the formulation and cattle won't touch them.

That is good to know and I didnt pay any attention to that till you said something about animal protein products.. I guess I will just stick to my normal tubs as soon as they eat these up.

denvermartinfarms":2czrd85k said:
I am going to guess about 30 cows with go through 2 or 3 of those a week, that's why I don't see them being cost effective. That has been my experience anyway.

You are probably right I just wanted to try it out see what happens.

Chuckie":swgzyd9r said:
That's odd they call it a Cattle Breeder Block.

Just a name. Really means nothing other than you typically feed it to breeding age cattle. Sort of like so many companies calling 20% range cubes "Breeder Cubes".

denvermartinfarms":35ymgm7h said:

Ok. I am gonna stick with the tubs because I just stuck the last 3 out today they are tearing those things up.

The formulation would be all wrong for me, too much calcium, not enough phosphorus, WAY too little copper and selenium as well

I'd just get some loose salt... except for the protein, it's much better, but you have to make some sort of feeder for it...

I use one of those rubber 6 gallon horse feeders (they're indestructable), and put it inside a tire (16.5" or 17" work the best, but a 16" will do) and they can't tip it over... it doesn't rain much here so water getting into it isn't a problem

Sky--did you chose the blocks because of the 20% protein or because of the extra Mg?
(or both?)
Were you concerned with tetany?
Just wondering, because Here, we don't have much need for added Mg like we do in the spring or when ryegrass is lush and green.

greybeard":18idps48 said:
Sky--did you chose the blocks because of the 20% protein or because of the extra Mg?
(or both?)
Were you concerned with tetany?
Just wondering, because Here, we don't have much need for added Mg like we do in the spring or when ryegrass is lush and green.

Grey im sorry I didn't know you had replied. I just tried them cause they were out of other mineral blocks and I always want the cows to have minerals.... I found this post again and was gonna tell yall.. The cows that have been eating these like candy after they have a calf they are in heat and getting bred back after a month I never had that happen so quick.

When you cut down most of the trees, and a hurricane takes what's left (or all the low limbs) ya have to make a tree. One for loose salt--one for mineral. The 4" is welded to the 9n wheel and then stabbed down on a tee post so they can't turn the whole thing over.
I just stuck the blocks on it cuz I had some.

ybus.jpg

Latest posts