Anyone use paste for newborn calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Blackbaldy

Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody uses paste to boost calves when newborn and at scours? If so what are they thanks BB

I don't use paste on newborns. Some people will give vitamin shots when calves are new, I only give to salebarn calves. I only give probios paste when using antibiotics, as antibiotics can sometimes kill good bacteria in their stomach.

May be a waste of time and a waste of money...but I got to a point that I didn't wait for scours to set in. My calves got probios paste when I brought them home from the sale barn...AND, got a touch more when I gave them any, I mean any, kind of antibiotic. Heck, I mixed it up in their "formula."

I don't know about calves that are born on the farm...at least not yet. That's coming w/in the month. I doubt that I'll upset Mama by messing with her calf. BUT, I'll be watching that calf like a hawk! I can see Van holding me back..."but, but, but Van...how do we know for sure!?"

I do love the baby calves...and I've been known to go outside the envelope for them...makes me feel better, anyway.

Alice

Blackbaldy":hjx3lbky said:
Was wondering if anybody uses paste to boost calves when newborn and at scours? If so what are they thanks BB

We never used it. Occasionally we would tube/bottle electrolytes, but even that was pretty rare.

If they're born on the farm just get outta the way and let mama and the new baby do it their way. Watch for probelms. If you buy them at the sale barn I'd probably do like the others and load them up with everything imaginable, and "pray".

Latest posts